women's soccer
Photo: Greg Kolz

Gee-Gees overcome slow, yet potent, start to take down Ridgebacks

The University of Ottawa women’s soccer team went against Ontario Tech University (OTU) this Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. With a great win against Nipissing under their belt and striker Cass Provost tying up the record for most goals scored in a Gee-Gees career, they had an adrenaline feast and a scoring fever, ending the game with a 4-1 victory.

Ontario Tech put up opposition against the Gee-Gees extraordinarily well, spending 45 minutes not only holding them back from scoring but also allowing themselves to create availability and opportunities to gain momentum and score as well. 

The first half of the game was intense, with both teams battling full force for the ball, sprinting, and contending for the first touch. However, no goal was scored, leaving the scoreboard intact. For the first time this season, a team put the breaks off the Gee-Gee’s gallop and contained the tally at 0-0 for the first half.

The audience, commentators, and the team itself were on the edge of their seats every time Provost got the ball. The anticipation for her to score the record-breaking goal was palpable, while also allowing themselves to root for Talia Hopkin, the Ridgeback’s goalie, who not only stopped Jenna Matsukubo’s penalty but also showcased an exemplary performance throughout the game.

The second half of the game took an unexpected turn. With the first half being tied, both teams conveyed their full-on attempt at scoring the first goal. The Gee-Gees surprised everyone by not only being the first at scoring but also making sure that three goals fell at the end of Ontario Tech’s net after that. 

The first was by Eva Bouity, shooting beautifully into the upper right corner with an assist from Allana Oriente. On top of that, Oriente certainly made her presence known, Scoring a beautiful goal, cutting into the center after a deep sprint, and assisting the third one by Élianne Gervais. 

The third Ottawa goal riled up both teams, forcing the Ridgebacks to force their offence and U of O to finish off strong, with a more significant difference in points. The fourth Gee-Gees goal arrived after Ottawa was gifted a penalty kick, shot by Nibo Dlamini. 

To wrap up, 10 minutes before the last whistle OTU riled up and got back to the team we saw in the first half. Giving it all and suffocating the Gee-Gees to obtain the first pass and the first bounce, resulting in the team from Oshawa scoring their first goal of the game from Tara Sisic, assisted by Mackenzie Scott.

The final score was 4-1, with all five goals scored in the second half. It made for an explosive game and an interesting first half in which the Gee-Gees, for the first time, made the audience bite their nails and hold their tongues. However, the Gee-Gees that they know and love came through and kept on securing their fan-favourite spot for the championship, ensuring record scores are broken, and history is made. 

The U of O plays rival Carleton this next Saturday at 1. p.m. Tickets cost $5 dollars, and the game will be played on Raven territory, so make sure to go, wear your merch and cheer for your team.

• Ana is a fourth year Sociology and Feminist & Gender Studies student with a love for sports, writing, and everything in between. She has played various sports throughout her life, and has encountered a passion for reporting on them as well as spreading the fun and competitiveness that arises from them.