A group of women's soccer players walking away from the camera. Two players are hugging.
Photo: Tim Austen/Gee-Gees

THESE GIRLS ARE ON FIRE.

The Gee-Gees women’s soccer team faced off against the Carleton Ravens and the Royal Military College (RMC) Paladins on Oct. 7 and 8 at Matt Anthony Field. Both games were big shutouts pulled off to perfection by the players and coaches. They were able to clean the scoresheets while dealing with lots of rain and muddy terrain. 

On Oct. 7, the team beat the rival Carleton 3-0, making the Ravens fly back across town in defeat. It was a lopsided match as the team would score two goals in the first half, and then score one last time in the second half.

Forwards Cassandra Provost and Nibo Dlamini were the stars of the show where they combined for five points. Provost scored two goals on four shots, both assisted by Dlamini, and Dlamini got the first goal of the match assisted by forward Allana Oriente. Goalkeeper Juliann Lacasse was able to stop all five shots she faced to help the team secure their victory. With this kind of dominant performance, the Gee-Gees looked toward their next opponent to continue their performance and they did.

On Oct. 8, the Gee-Gees faced the Paladins once again at their home field, where they completely dominated and won 8-0. The team scored two goals in the first half, and then tripled that amount by scoring six goals in the second half. Jenna Matsukubo played incredibly well, scoring a goal and setting up teammates with three assists. 

Provost once again had a phenomenal game, scoring a hat trick and putting three goals on the board. The third-year reigning U SPORTS player of the year in women’s soccer is pacing the country in goals, boasting an astonishing 16 in just eight games.

The team was able to stop the Paladins from even getting one shot on net. A combined team effort was victorious as the Gee-Gees started the season strong with a 7-1-0 record.

Correction: This article was updated Oct. 19 at 7:58 p.m. to correct the spelling of Nibo Dlamini’s name previously published in the article. The Fulcrum apologizes to Dlamini for this mistake and will be sure to maintain accuracy going forward.