Vets and rookie goalie give the Gee-Gees second preseason win. Photo: Parker Townes.

Bouchard, McGaughey sisters lead the way in preseason win

On Sept. 14, the women’s hockey team faced the Laurentian Voyageurs at Minto Sports Complex for their second preseason tune-up.

For the occasion, head coach Yannick Evola decided to ice a rookie-filled lineup to see what his young players could do in game situations.

He did however make sure to dress top players such as Mélodie Bouchard and the McGaughey sisters to provide some offence and leadership.

This game was all Gee-Gees, as the ladies in Garnet and Grey easily won the game 5-2.

“We were all over them tonight,” Evola said. “We were dominant, and it showed on the scoreboard in the shots and in possession time.”

The Gee-Gees seemed to always be in the Voyageurs’ zone, missing some opportunities which could’ve easily made this game a blowout.

In spite of captain Melanie Roy’s fighting injuries, the Gees were led by their veterans.

Bouchard, now in her fourth year with the team, scored twice and had two assists, Meaghan McGaughey scored twice, while her sister Taylor tallied once, and forwards Roxanne Rioux and Veronik Samson both had an assist each.

“I feel like midseason form, I really had my legs going out there and I think I’m ready for the season already,” Meaghan McGaughey said.

Evola said the lineup was solid, but may look a little different for the regular season opening night.

“There will be some changes at certain positions, again, depends on injuries,” he said. “I hope our captain Melanie Roy will be good to go, but this was tonight a good lineup and I am confident in all our players.”

In her Gee-Gees debut, rookie goaltender Jennifer Walker was tested 25 times by Laurentian but did not face many dangerous shots.

She did however make a momentum changing-save in the second period, robbing Laurentian forward Payton Bray on a breakaway to keep the score at 2-1.

Following that save, Bouchard and Meaghan McGaughey would score back-to-back goals to give the Gee-Gees a 4-1 lead and put the game out of reach for Laurentian.

Post-game, Walker attributed her success to “strong play from her teammates and hard work in practice to be ready for the start.”

Bouchard gave Walker props as well.

“She didn’t seem stressed out there,” Bouchard said. “She was solid and made the saves when we needed her to. We couldn’t ask for much more.”

Evola also credited the young Gee-Gee.

“She’s big, she’s tall, she was aggressive out there,” he said. “They did hit two posts, but she did what she had to after and she deserved the win.”

The team still has four preseason matchups, two being in Ottawa. The Gees will take on St.Thomas University on Sept. 28 and then Queen’s on Sept. 30, both played at Minto.

The Gee-Gees will then open up the regular season on Oct. 19 on the road against the University of Montreal Carabins. Their home-opener will take place the following Sunday, Oct. 21, as they will take on the Concordia Stingers at the Minto Sports Complex.