Football team now at 4-2 ahead of tough matchups in midterm season

Photo credit: Marta Kierkus 

The Gee-Gees added another blowout win to their record against a fragmented Waterloo Warriors team on the way to the playoff season.

This is perhaps the worst season for the Warriors in the program’s history. Rumours of a possible cancelation of the Waterloo football program surrounded the team as they were battered in a 51-10 loss to the Gees.

It was another rainy game day at the Gee-Gees Field, and the garnet and grey took the lead early in the game with a few open scoring opportunities to make it 17-0.

The Gees continued the beating with a two-yard touchdown scamper for Jordan Suttcliffe, who saw his first playing time this season. The Warriors would finally put up points as they hit a 42-yard field goal, closing the half with a score of 45-3.

The second half would mainly be practice time for the deeper reaches of the Gee-Gees bench. Kicker Lewis Ward and Warrior kicker Caleb Girard would add two more field goals each, followed by a rouge point by Girard to close the game at 51-10.

Gees head coach Jamie Barresi said the team will need to stay focused throughout each game no matter what the scoreboard reads.

“The thing that is pleasing was we played a lot of kids that normally never play,” said Barresi. “We were able to rest a lot of guys. We took them off the roster and (the backups) got some work, and that was important.”

Running back Bryce Vieira said there was a lot of work that went into the win this week coming off of their previous win against the University of Toronto.

“We had a tough week with a lot of injuries and a lot of guys had to sit out,” he said. “Plus, midterms are coming and the exams are coming, but with this win it re-establishes why we are here and what we want to accomplish.”

The road ahead for the Gees is a trying one, with a cross-province trip to Windsor for a Friday night matchup with the 4-1 Lancers on Oct. 10.

The final game of the year will be the real test when the Gee-Gees welcome the undefeated McMaster Marauders on Oct. 25, a team that upset the seemingly unbeatable Western Mustangs this month. Barresi said he’s optimistic that with enough hard work, the team can beat anyone that comes their way.

“We’re right into it now,” he said. “These guys are good, they’re all good. But you know, there is not a team in the league that I don’t feel we can’t beat.”