Gee-Gees

Image: Bardia Boomer/Fulcrum.

THE GEE-GEES TAKE DOWN CARLETON IN OVERTIME

The Colonel By Classic has been going on since 2016; however, the women’s teams only started participating in the 2018 season. This was only the third time the teams faced one another in the Colonel By Classic. The all-time series was even at one win a piece prior to this matchup, with the most recent being a 4-1 victory for the University of Ottawa.

Fans cheering on the team.
The Gee-Gees faithful cheers on the team. Image: Bardia Boomer/Fulcrum.

Being the second game of the back-to-back, this game started differently than how the prior game finished, which helped fans ease back into action. The game seemed like a chess match, with both teams seeking to make smart plays. You could tell how tight this game would be from the jump, whether it was getting the puck in deep, clean breakout passes or winning puck battles.

A little over five minutes in, it would be Carleton who got on the board first as their winger drove down the left boards, centred it, and the shot was put through the wickets to give Carleton the opener. This is where the game would stand going into the first intermission.

40 seconds into the new period, off a clean faceoff win by ​​Alyssa Biesenthal, a one-timed snipe came from Abygail Moloughney, who lit the lamp, making it 1-1.

The Gees would continue putting pressure in the second on a defensive zone faceoff, where the Gees picked the puck off at the blue line and then went on a breakaway. The first shot was stopped, then the follow-up hit the post and stayed out.

The Gees would pepper Carleton with 16 shots in the frame, but no more goals came in the period. The game remained tied going into the third period.

In the third period, the Ravens scored after a scramble near the boards, which took two defenders out of the equation, leaving the Carleton forward alone to walk in and score.

Midway through the third, the Gees would tie it up. Viki Harkness drove to the net, beating a defender, and with everyone’s attention on her, she would drop off a pass to Beatrice Bilodeau, who finished into the open net.

Twenty-seven seconds later, the Gees turned it around with some hustle by Sophie Gareau, who picked off the puck and lasered it in on the short side, which forced a timeout from the Carleton.

A couple of minutes later, on a play that looked to have a hook, a rough and, potentially, a boarding call, it was Carleton who somehow found the goal and escaped being penalized to tie it. Through the remainder of the third period, the refs continued to let calls go on both sides, to the dismay of both sets of fans.

Referee on the ice.
The referee looks on. Image: Bardia Boomer/Fulcrum.

As the game went into overtime, the referees made a call, and Carleton was penalized with 2:04 left in the overtime period for holding. With the overtime rules, this meant the Gees would go on a four-on-three powerplay.

The Gees would utilize the extra open ice to go on a rush, where Kylie Lalonde, with 14.3 seconds left in the game, put a short side shot top shelf to send the fans home happy.

Gees players on the ice.
Kylie Lalonde celebrates with the team after her overtime winner. Image: Bardia Boomer/Fulcrum.