Competitive Clubs

Liam Williams | Men’s Volleyball

Maclaine Chadwick | Fulcrum Staff

“Meet a Gee-Gee” takes a look at the people under the jerseys. Whether they’re varsity athletes or otherwise, we ask the players questions you want answers to.  We get the dirt, straight from the horse’s mouth.

IN AN EMAIL interview with the Fulcrum, men’s volleyball player Liam Williams talks about being a part of a club team and gives potential rookies a sneak peek at what’s to come this year.

The Fulcrum: What is the best perk about playing a club sport for the University of Ottawa?

Liam Williams: The best perk is becoming close with your teammates and free entry to all other sports events.

What is the biggest misconception that people have about volleyball players?

The biggest misconception is that all volleyball players are tall. Each team has one or two players who are defensive specialists called liberos [who] do not need to be tall.

If you could play for any major league team, who would it be and why?

I would play football for the New England Patriots, although I would get crushed. I would like to be a quarterback.

What is the craziest thing that you and your teammates have done?

During our rookie party two years ago, a group of rookies played volleyball naked in Morisset Library.

Did you plan to play volleyball when you came to the U of O, or was it something that happened after you got here?

Yes, I was interested in playing when I came to the U of O, and contacted the coaching staff before the season began.

Which school does your team have the biggest rivalry with?

Our biggest rival is Algonquin College. We are from the same city, play often, and are usually at a similar skill level.

What is the best piece of advice that you can offer firstyear students?

Get involved in a club, team, or organization! It will help you meet new people.

If you have a suggestion for an athlete you would like to see interviewed, email [email protected]