Breaking

The Highlight Reel: Feb. 7

Men’s hoops clinch second-place seed with a win

Friday, the Gee-Gees men’s basketball team set up shop in Kingston and went to work on the Queen’s Gaels for the second time in two weeks. On Jan. 25. the Gee-Gees downed the Gaels by a 21-point margin. This Friday, they bettered that by six points, coming away with a dominant 103–76 victory.

Right from the tip-off, Queen’s never really stood a chance against the nation’s second-ranked team despite a closer-than-expected score at the end of the first quarter. The Gees wasted no time in the second quarter, employing their signature run-and-gun offence paired with smothering defence to pull away from the 9–9 Gaels.

Staying true to their pace throughout 2014, the Gee-Gees’ number 13 and 8 were the obvious picks for best players on the floor. Fourth-year Terry Thomas (13) showed just how exceptionally versatile he is by packing the stat sheet with 25 points, 11 rebounds, three assists, and two steals. His partner-in-crime Johnny Berhanemeskel (8) put up 20 points, six rebounds, and four assists.

With the win, the 17–2 Gee-Gees clinched the second-place seed in the Ontario University Athletics’ (OUA) East division, which guarantees them a playoff game at home on Feb. 22.

On Saturday, the men will look to push their win streak to six games when they travel to Toronto to take on the York Lions at 8:00 p.m.

Women can’t find groove against Gaels

The Gee-Gees women’s team went into action against the Queen’s Gaels first on Friday night and walked away with a close 51–47 loss. Losing to Queen’s means the Gees fall to third place in the OUA rankings, while the Gaels move up.

A tightly-contested match throughout the night, which featured seven separate lead changes, ultimately came down to execution in the final minutes when the Gee-Gees could not close.

Third-year forward and centre Maddie Stephen led the team with 12 points and 16 rebounds, proving her place on the team as the player with the fifth most rebounds per game in the country.

The women will look to add a win to their 12–7 record when they take on the 7–17 York Lions at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday night in Toronto.