Photo: Fulcrum archives.

Gees’ dominating offense led to a win over RMC 4-2

Nov.11 — The U of O men’s hockey team faced off against the dead-last OUA East division rival Royal Military College (RMC) Paladins at the Minto Recreation Complex for a special Remembrance Day matchup. With a beautiful ceremony, it was a great bounce-back victory for the team as they struggled the night before against Queen’s.

The first period started with a great forecheck and defensive play from the Gee-Gees. Forward Nicholas Grondin unnecessarily ran into the goalie, which resulted in a two-minute minor penalty. The penalty kill was strong and the Gee-Gees got back to even strength. 

The Paladins were able to score off a bad bounce on Gees goaltender Zachary Dietz, who was starting in net as goaltender Frankie Lapenna had played the Gaels the previous night. The team struggled to capitalize in the opposing end but they were able to get some good shots on net at the end of the period. 

The Gees kicked off the second period with a much stronger offense.  

Forwards Peter Stratis and Mathieu Desgagnés were able to set up forward Luka Verrault to hit a one-timer to start the scoring. “You know, we have a good team,” Verrault said about being the leading goal-scorer on the team as a freshman.  “And I play with good players that help me a lot so it’s all about them I just try to contribute and help the team too. I’ll try to keep it that way.” 

The Gee-Gees were buzzing around the Paladins’ end, with more time-on-attack and shots on net. A four-on-four situation came about with Grondin and the Paladins getting two-minute minors, but the Gees penalty kill was able to handle it. 

After that, forward Tommy Bouchard was able to set up Desgagnés as he hammered it home with a goal to take the lead 1-0. Tensions were getting high as both teams got five-minute major penalties, with the Paladins receiving an additional two-minute minor. The power play did not do the Gees any favours but the defense played great zone work to end the period. 

The third period had a phenomenal start for the Gees as Verrault and forward Evan Boucher set up Stratis for a power play goal, just 10 seconds in. “We watched yesterday’s game and really didn’t mind our game,” Head coach Patrick Grandmaitre said about the on-ice improvement. “If you just keep doing the right things, the puck’s going to bounce on your side and you’re going to get some of those important goals, or important saves too.” 

The Gee-Gee’s maintained their dominating offense against the Paladins with more time on attack and shots on net. Our defense, like Adam Sandstrom, was good at stopping the rush and protecting their end. The team had some discipline issues this period, with Boucher being ejected for boarding and forward Aaron Brown took a five-minute major that the penalty kill was able to deal with.

“We’re taking four minor penalties a game,” Grandmaitre said. “That’s putting us in the PK. We’re always looking to stay at three and less. There are going to be calls, but yes, there’s some that need to be cleaned up, which specific players tend to take some of the similar penalties.” 

The Paladins would get one more goal to bring the game within one goal. RMC pulled their goaltender to try and get the extra attacker on the ice, but Tommy Bouchard ended their hopes by scoring on their empty net, delivering the final nail in the coffin to make the final score 4-2.