Fitness & Health

Summer eats

Spencer VanDyk | Fulcrum Staff

With summer fast approaching, fun and fresh recipes are everywhere. Here are some that are not only quick and easy, but also pretty good for you. The trick is to find salads that are simple to prepare but taste out of this world, and pair them with cool and refreshing summer drinks.
Blueberry-lime margarita
• 2 cups of ice
• 1 cup frozen blueberries
• 1 cup blueberry nectar
• 1/4 cup seltzer
• 2 tablespoons frozen limeade
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 1 lime wedge
• 1 oz  tequila (optional)

The blueberry-lime combo makes this drink super tasty, but believe it or not, drinking it gives you some great health benefits—blueberries are rich in antioxidants, and the lime is a great source of vitamin C. It’s refreshing, delicious, and quick to make—just toss all of the ingredients in a blender and serve!

Peach-orange sangria
• Mixture of orange and cranberry juice (in whatever ratios you prefer)
• ½ cup each of peach slices, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and cranberries

The best way to make sangria is to let the fruit marinate in the juice for three days and add club soda and alcohol right before serving. With sangria, you can toss in whatever fruit you want, and the result will always be a delicious combination of oh-so summery flavours. It’s perfect to bring to parties or barbecues, and the virgin variety means that people of all ages can still enjoy this sweet and refreshing summer drink.

Quinoa salad
• 1 cup cooked quinoa
• ¼ cup chopped tomato
• ¼ cup chopped cucumber
• 1/8 cup red onion
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• Salt, pepper, and cilantro to taste

This salad is great because it’s easy and cheap, and you can double or triple the recipe to last you throughout the week. The veggies provide lots of nutrients, and the quinoa has plenty of healthy fats to give you energy throughout the day. It’s nice and fresh on a hot summer day and is perfect for taking to work, barbecues, or the beach.
Chicken fajita salad
• Barbecued chicken breast
• Spinach
• Avocado
• Tomatoes
• Onions
• Cheese
• Beets
• Black beans

If you love fajitas, which almost everyone does, make them healthy by getting rid of the wrap and turning it into a salad. You can add the same seasoning to the chicken as you would normally use, but toss in lots of beans and veggies to make it rich in protein and out-of-this-world delicious.

Vegan hummus wrap
• Soy beans
• Hummus
• Spinach
• Lime juice
• Shredded carrot

This is perfect for work because it doesn’t get soggy from mayo or other sauces. Spread some hummus on a whole wheat wrap and load it with the spinach, soy beans, lime juice, and shredded carrot, and you’re good to go. This wrap is perfect for work, the beach, or picnics, because leaving out the chicken makes the preparation quick and simple and it’s easy to wrap and transport.