Other

TRADITION, TRADITION, TRADITION.  It’s a word that plagues the mind of those caught within it, but also a notion that people relish with sublime admiration.

In the same way the pre-game rituals can be necessary for the mental spirit of athletes, sports traditions translate into a necessary component of a city’s culture.  And I refuse to believe that people did not love my father.

“You should understand, little Pedro that with great power comes great responsibility. And with a great event like the Panda Bowl, comes great drinking,” he would say to me. I never really understood what he meant by it.

I think the culture behind drinking has changed since the ‘70s and ‘90s.  I don’t think rowdy crowds will force the rails to fall, like they tragically did in 1987.  The new Lees Avenue stadium is far too sturdy to let us fall.  And we’ve learned to limit our drinking before, during, and after the game.

When we’re at the games, we should be appreciating our Gee-Gees. They’re the athletes that represent us. We can appreciate the Ravens too, even if their wings ought to be clipped.  They’re all bright young student-athletes.

And the Gees played a mighty fine game during the home opener against the Varsity Blues. We are definitely in good hands with coach Jamie Barresi.

However, I will definitely have a drink or two a couple days before the game, and I invite you to join me. I’m going to show up at 1848 on Oct. 3 for the pre-Panda Bowl party.

Last week I pitched a bunch of ideas and challenges to you guys, but I forgot to ask—what do you think?  I’d love to hear back from you all; love stories about Gee-Gees you find cute, prank ideas you’d like to run by the panda, or even just experiences relating to the Panda Bowl you’d like to share.

I know I’m excited, but I also want to know why you are too.