Jalbert, Blain, and Ouellette receive provincial recognition

Maclaine Chadwick | Fulcrum Staff

Three members of the men’s hockey team have been given the all-star nod, representing the University of Ottawa in all categories: the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East’s first, second, and rookie all-star teams.

Dominic Jalbert, a third-year commerce student, earned a position as a first team all-star. Jalbert was among the highest-scoring defencemen in the OUA and ranked second place in points collected, earning 28 points from eight goals and 20 assists. Jalbert is second to Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières’ Pierre-Luc Lessard, who earned 31 points from five goals and 26 assists.

Team captain Luc-Olivier Blain, a third year communications student, was awarded second team all-star honours—his first all-star nod after being named to the rookie team in 2011. Blain contributed 27 points in the form of seven goals and 20 assists to his team’s 2012–13 season.

“I am really honoured to have been voted on the all-star team with all these great players,” said Blain, in an email to the Fulcrum. “It’s a team sport and without your teammates nothing would be possible, but to get rewarded like this is always fun”.

Rookie forward Mathieu Ouellette, a human kinetics student, racked up 11 goals and 14 assists in his inaugural season with the Gee-Gees, earning him a spot on the all-rookie team.

Former Gee-Gees goaltender Riley Whitlock has also been nominated for the Randy Gregg Award, which honours players who excel in hockey, academics, and community outreach.