Former teacher, coach, finance administrator joins Gee-Gees community

Marc Schryburt wants sports to bring people together on campus. It’s been his dream for 20 years, and as a longtime football coach and sports program manager, he’s finally become the new Gee-Gees director of Sports Services.

Schryburt has worked in education, coaching, and management for more than 25 years. He began his career as a math and physical education teacher, and for the past five years he’s been the director of finance and administration at the Coaching Association of Canada.

“I’m excited because if you were to ask this question 20 years ago, this is the position I would want,” said Schryburt.

The University of Ottawa’s vice-president of resources Marc Joyal said Schryburt has earned a fortunate reputation in the sports community, and said he’s confident in his ability to lead the university’s Sports Services.

Sports Services are in the middle of a 10-year plan. They are developing the Gee-Gee program and balancing out recreational sports until 2020.

“I want to make sure I respect the past,” said Schryburt. “Everything that’s done in the past, there is a reason for that.”

For the future, Schryburt hopes to foster a new perspective by bringing people together through sport, and by being a visible leader on campus.

Schryburt worked six seasons as a football coach for McGill University from 2001 to 2005, and the University of Sherbrooke from 2006 to 2007. He has also been a guest coach for a number of professional teams in the Canadian Football League.

When working at these universities, Schryburt always knew he wanted to be a sports director. He says he wants to take into account not only varsity sports, but all sports on campus. He said sports bring everyone together in numerous ways.

“It takes a lot of people. Sports brings people together; it brings staff together and students together.” Schryburt is enthusiastic about working at a bilingual university and being part of the Gee-Gees action on campus. “I’m a sports freak. You will see me everywhere,” said Schryburt. “Not because it’s my responsibility to be there, but I enjoy it.”