Other

Photo credit: Marta Keirkus

Six-dozen students from the University of Ottawa’s intramurals program rallied together for an evening of fun and competitive matchups in support of Relay for Life.

The inaugural event, run by student Vince Kang on Nov. 17 at Montpetit, raised more than $700 for the Canadian Cancer Society.

“Intramurals has completely donated the gym time,” said Kang, the head referee for the event. “This event didn’t cost a penny. Everything was sponsored.”

The tournament pitted 12 teams of six or more against one another to give intramural participants the opportunity to get some extra playing time, all the while raising money for charity.

“We built the tournament for the players and we thought it would be good idea to donate 100 per cent of the fees rather than it just laying around,” said Kang.

The top four teams were awarded $60 gift cards to The Draft and Bac A Frites, and $15 gift cards for student federation businesses such as Pivik, all donated by the organizations.

Kang wants this to be the first of many similar charity-sporting events he hosts in the future.

“I personally would like to make this bi-annual,” he said. “Judging from the feedback on this event, we will be doing one next semester, so on and so on.”

If you’d like to volunteer, email Vince Kang at [email protected].