Photo: Brian Doherty.

Gees remain undefeated in the regular season after two big wins

Following their season opener win against Algoma University, the Gee-Gees women’s basketball team took to the court on Nov. 25 and 26 against two of their north conference rivals, the University of Laurentian Voyageurs and the Nipissing University Lakers.

Laurentian University

Even though Laurentian came into the game without much in the way of momentum, they still gave the Gees a run for their money.

A good press was put into play early on by the University of Ottawa team, resulting in a few turnovers by the Voyageurs, who struggled with their ball movement.

At the end of the first quarter the U of O had a 22–16 lead. Officiating played a major role in the first quarter, with the referees calling an absurd 13 fouls in the frame.

The Gees showcased their power on the glass as well, grabbing an offensive rebound to stretch their lead to double digits early on in the second quarter. The game tightened up with four minutes left, as Laurentian managed to cut their deficit to just one basket.

The first half came to a close with the U of O only holding a 31–28 lead.

Laurentian tied the game early in the second, 33–33, fully erasing the Gees’ 10-point lead from earlier in the game. However, the garnet and grey quickly regained control with a seven-point run that would force the home team to take a timeout.

The officials continued to control the game, calling foul after foul after foul. Laurentian took their first lead since the beginning of the game with three minutes left in the frame.

Ottawa fought back for the lead, and fourth-year Sarah Besselink hit a huge three pointer to bring their lead up to five with two minutes left in the period.

The pace picked up at that point, as both teams went back and forth. The quarter ended with the Gees holding a 50–45 advantage.

Both teams exchanged threes early on in the fourth, keeping the Gees’ lead at seven.

With two minutes to go in the game, the U of O’s defense stayed strong as the game ended with a 71–60 decision, keeping the Gees’ undefeated record intact.

Rebounds guided the Gee-Gees to their second victory of the year, overpowering Laurentian beneath the hoop. The U of O also generated some key second-chance points, which contributed to their victory immensely.

Nipissing University

A day later, the Gees handed the Nipissing Lakers their sixth consecutive loss of the season.

The U of O got caught playing catchup for the first quarter, getting outscored 18–16 by the Lakers.

The lead changed hands a few times in the second quarter, but Ottawa ended the half up 32–27. The Gees pulled away in the third quarter, outscoring Nipissing 13–6 in the frame to take a 45–33 lead.

The Lakers were briefly able to get back within ten points in the fourth quarter before the Gees once again pulled away. The game ended 62–44 in favour of the Gees.

Fifth-year point guard Julia Soriano really stepped up for the Gees, with 17 points and eight rebounds in the win.

At this point in the year, veterans like Soriano and Besselink are doing their very best to guarantee success for the Gees in the regular season.

The Gee-Gees’ next game is their home opener on Dec. 2 at 6 p.m. in Montpetit Hall. You can buy tickets here