Other

The University of Ottawa women’s hockey team will “pink the rink” as they battle the Carleton Ravens on Nov. 9. The Gee-Gees will don special pink jerseys for the annual Pink The Rink game to raise awareness for breast cancer.

Mayor Jim Watson will drop the puck at 2 p.m. at the Minto Sports Complex, with tickets available at the door for $10.

The game is a special one for the team, as a number of the players have been affected by cancer. Maude Laramée, a second-year defender, lost her grandfather to cancer.

“I think that it’s really important to have a game to support those who have been through that and to show the community that we do,” she said.

For fourth–year forward Asha Kauffeldt, her family’s battle with cancer ended with positive results.

“My aunt battled cancer and she is an inspiration because she was strong and survived,” she said. “Cancer is something that affects the lives of many people and I’m really proud to be a part of helping raise awareness alongside my teammates through this event.”

It’s been a solid season for the women’s team so far, who sit at 3–2 after a loss Nov. 3 to McGill, the number one ranked team in the country.

“I think that we have great ethic and we’re a hard-working team,” said Laramée. “I think that when people are going to see us play, they are going to see a team that doesn’t give up in all kinds of situations. We are a hard working team and often hard work beats talent.”

“Our team is off to a great start this year,” said Kauffeldt. “We are right on track, focused, working hard, and it’s paying off.”

Ottawa has had success against the Ravens so far this year, beating them 5–1 and 6–1, in their two matchups respectively. Kauffeldt feels that Carleton is “going to come back strong, so we need to be prepared. Cross town rivalry is always an exciting game.”

First-year forward Alex Lafleur said she hopes there’s a solid crowd for the Pink the Rink matchup.

“It’s always great to have a big crowd supporting us,” she said. “It helps us knowing that everyone is behind us and gives us good vibes, especially when it’s for a great cause.”

Outside of the game there will be a number of other events at the Minto Sports Complex before and during the matchup. At noon, the Draft Pub will have special pink brews and bra pong games. There will also be face painting, a photo booth, and a cancer board for people to sign and to remember lost friends and family. During the first intermission, there will be a frozen T-shirt contest, and the winner will receive Ottawa Senators tickets. During the second intermission, a fan will get the chance to win a $50 Via Rail gift card.