Gee-Gees

womens rugby team in a circle
Greg Kolz/Gee-Gees

“The team is focused on Laval and the RSEQ final, because beating them would also make us 1-1 for the season”

The Gee-Gees women’s rugby team came into the 2023 season with sky-high expectations. The program has medalled an almost unbelievable seven straight times at the U SPORTS National Championship, including a bronze last season.

In the first game of this year, the team lost a tight affair against reigning national champions Laval Rouge et Or, 14-12. That would stand to be the team’s only loss of the year, as they coasted to a 5-1 finish. The season included shutouts against Carleton, McGill, and Bishop’s. The season led them to a #3 U SPORTS national ranking.

The successful season earned them the RSEQ #2 playoff seed, meaning a matchup with U SPORTS #8 Concordia, whom they had already beaten handily earlier in the year. Therefore, the low-scoring first half of Oct.14’s semi-final matchup was a bit surprising.

Two-time RSEQ Second Team All-Star Emma Wade got the Gees on the scoreboard in the first half, which was converted on by Aurora Bowie. The 7-0 lead stood, and the team was facing some pressure coming out of halftime.

But just five minutes into the second half, a maul began about 35 yards from Concordia’s endzone, directly in front of the bleachers filled with Gee-Gees faithful. The buzz from the cold metal seats became louder and louder as Emma Wade was pushed by her teammates all the way into the try zone for her second try of the game.

With about 12 minutes remaining, the Gees kicked from the halfway line, and the ball tumbled almost all the way to the try zone. After some rucks, Leigha Stiles touched the ball down to extend the Gee-Gees lead. The Gees helped out Bowie this time by touching down directly in the centre of the field, giving the three-time U SPORTS Academic All-Canadian a much better chance at making the convert, which she promptly drilled.

The Gees would take the game 19-0 and secure a date with the Rouge et Or Oct. 21 at 1 p.m at their Quebec City campus. Laval took down Carleton 40-13 in their semi-final matchup, setting the teams up for a rematch of last year’s RSEQ final, and vaulting the squad into the top ranking released by U SPORTS after the games. You can watch the game on the Gee-Gee’s YouTube channel.

Head coach Duncan McNaughton was unsurprisingly pleased with the result. “Beating Concordia opens the door to the RSEQ final, and of course the U SPORTS National Championship.” Said McNaughton, who is in his first year as head coach of the Gees. 

“Obviously, the team is focused on Laval and the RSEQ final, because beating them would also make us 1-1 for the season – maybe the U SPORTS Final could be the rubber match?”

The National Championship will take place Nov. 1 —5 in Quebec City, once again at Telus Stadium on Laval’s campus. For more information, see here

“Every university athlete wants to go to the National Championship and compete against the best in Canada in your sport”, McNaughton added. “While this program is a perennial contender in U SPORTS, getting to the Championship can never be taken for granted. The players believe we have only seen glimpses of our true potential and want to make U SPORTS the grand finale.”