The Gee-Gees knocked off the Varsity Blues for the third time this season overall. Photo: Henry Zhao.
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Lefebvre scores twice in quarterfinal win over Varsity Blues

Yet another U of O team is moving on in playoff action.

This time, it’s the women’s soccer squad following their Oct. 28 quarterfinal victory versus the University of Toronto Varsity Blues.

“Everyone as a team was working hard,” Gee-Gees striker Emma Lefebvre said after the win.

The quarterfinal game took place on a wet, chilly Sunday afternoon at Gee-Gees field.

Despite the conditions, the U of O was dominant, controlling possession of the ball for the majority of the game.

The Gees were successful at putting pressure on the Varsity Blues’ defence. Still, there wouldn’t be a goal scored until near the end of the first half of play.

Thirty-seven minutes in, it was Lefebvre who beat the U of T’s goaltender in a race for the ball, poking it away and sliding on the turf to kick the ball into the back of the net.

The first half would end with the U of O up 1-0.

But the Gees didn’t let up in the second half, continuing to control the ball all over the field and holding the Varsity Blues to only four shots to their 20.

“It’s not just our goalkeepers and our backs, it’s our strikers and our midfielders who all work together as a team in order to try and create a difficult environment for our opponents to play,” Gee-Gees head coach Steve Johnson said.

At the 71-minute mark, Lefebvre got behind two Blues defenders, and similar to her first goal, beat the keeper before sending the ball into an unprotected net.

That goal would be enough to secure the 2-0 win and send the Gee-Gees to the OUA Final Four.

The Gee-Gees are set to play the McMaster Marauders in semifinal action on Nov. 2 in London. While they have their eyes set on winning the OUA title for now, in just one week the University of Ottawa will be hosting the U Sports National Championships from Nov. 8-11. Grab tickets to that here.