The Tomato

Photo: Orims Yomi.

Companies come up with ways to get hit of legalized weed revenues

In light of federal court judge Michael Phelan’s recent ruling, which struck down a previous ban on medical marijuana patients growing their own plants, a new bill is being lobbied for in Parliament that would permit businesses to grow their own plants and provide their customers with ‘samples’ and ‘treats’.

Marijuana is currently legal for medicinal use in Canada, but there is both public and private pressure for a policy that allows businesses to reward their patrons with a free pot brownie to capitalize off of customers who’ll get the munchies in their store. This initiative has been led by fast-food restaurants, grocery stores, and Shoppers Drug Mart, who all expect their sales of junk food to increase with the free brownie program.

Patty Meltt, a representative for McDonald’s Canada said “It seems to be only a matter of time before the government legalizes weed for recreational use, so why not let businesses get a head start? I think our customers deserve the best dining experience, and studies show that marijuana is an effective digestive aid as well as an appetite stimulator.”

The bill seems to have created a united force amongst business in Ottawa, with many businesses signing a 100,000-signature petition. Many business insiders see the potential bill as revolutionary, with Burger King going so far as to confirm their plans to install “coming down” beds in over 250 of their locations nationwide.

“We want to create the most comfortable environment possible for our customers, plus it creates jobs for staff specially hired to tuck in our customers” said national franchise manager for Burger King Canada, Heinz Berger.

There was no response however from Menchies when asked to comment on plans to change the first ‘e’ in their name to a ‘u’ officially, and start serving a weed-flavoured ice cream called “highce-cream”.

Some skeptics remain unconvinced about the economic impact that this could have for businesses country-wide, and believe instead it will simply create a domino effect where business stalls as people forget to show up to work.

Debbie Downer, spokesperson for the group Want Elimination of Every Drug, not to be abbreviated to W.E.E.D. she stressed, said “Just think about how this could affect lunch breaks! Employers won’t be so lenient on you just popping down the street to get a quick bite, you could be there for hours!”

The idea is also gaining ground in some comedy circles, as clubs feel this would perhaps be a safer alternative to fuelling patrons with alcohol. Comedy Club Owner Joe King said “I’d rather have a bunch of laughing stoners than a bunch of drunk hecklers any day. I’m in full support of this bill.”

With what is sure to be a long and heated debate, the  growing demand for marijuana’s place in the food services sector doesn’t seem to be slowing down anytime soon.