Other

Act fast and save on a season of snowy fun

NOW THAT THE temperature has dropped below zero, there’s absolutely no denying it: Winter is on its way whether you like it or not. If you consider yourself a snow bunny, or find you have a tendency to romp around outdoors in the winter rather than staying huddled up inside, then this is the week for you. The world of winter sports has turned into a world of deals, and now is the time to take advantage.

Get serious about ski hills

Avid skiers and boarders alike will appreciate the magnificence of the ski hills that can be found just outside Ottawa. Downhill-loving dudes and dames need drive no further than Mont Ste-Marie, located less than an hour outside of downtown Ottawa, to experience some serious ski action. Boasting two full-sized hills, runs of various difficulties, a full board park, and a bunny hill for beginners, Mont Ste-Marie is a mountain worth investing in. The hill is offering an early bird sale on season passes right now, so thrill-seeking students should buy now before the prices jump by 25 per cent.

I’m skating away…

While some students are aware that Ottawa houses the largest outdoor skating rink in the world, many are unaware of the 21 indoor skating rinks available for public use throughout the city. For less than $20, students can access the rinks for an entire month, and for under $40 they can use them all winter long. If you’re a hockey aficionado, serious about figure skating, or just looking to brush up on your skills, the quality ice and miniscule cost make City of Ottawa rinks well worth opening your wallet.

Need some night action?

Late-night classes or complicated work schedules can make it hard for students to find the time to pack up their equipment and hit the hills at all during the winter—let alone enough to justify buying an entire season pass. For occasional skiers and boarders interested in getting more bang for their buck, Camp Fortune has an exceptional offer. The hill, located a mere 15-minute drive outside downtown Ottawa, not only offers exceptional night skiing from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m., but also offers two-for-one deals on lift passes Wednesdays and Saturdays. The hills may be small, but when you’re paying about $12.50 per person, who cares? It’s better than not getting any outdoor action at all.

—Jaclyn Lytle