Bike shops in Ottawa and where to find the best deals

Photo credit: Tina Wallace

Spring is fast approaching, and with it roads and bike paths will soon be clean and dry. Cycling is a great pastime, but it can also be a useful way to get from point A to point B. Finding a bicycle can be difficult, particularly if you don’t know what style you want, or if your budget is limited. One way to get around the cost factor is buying it used.

We all know about buying used goods online, as well as the benefits and risks that accompany it. But buying used from a shop can certainly be a different, fulfilling experience compared to Macklemore’s song “Thrift Shop.” Here are some possible options for your future used bike shopping.

Cycle Salvation

This cool spot is situated on Bronson Avenue, just south of Gladstone. The shop offers a wide variety of bikes, from ones that cost less than $100 to ones that have been refurbished and can cost anywhere from $140 to $600. As of April 1, the shop will have a larger stock of bikes for sale, so if you don’t need a bike until then, it might be worth the wait.

Not only is the staff knowledgeable and helpful, the store is a fascinating visit. You’ll notice the various little pieces of memorabilia to the hanging vintage bikes, there is a lot to look at. They also have all the parts you need.

Even more interesting is the shop’s partnership with Causeway, a group that looks to help those who cannot find gainful employment. Cycle Salvation allows individuals to learn about how bikes work, and hopefully find them full-time employment somewhere in the city.

Cycle Salvation is located at 473 Bronson Ave.

Call 613-288-1454 or check out cyclesalvation.org

Cyco’s

Cyco’s is a shop close to campus that sells new and used bicycles. For used bikes, their specialty is completely refurbishing bikes that have been purchased through Crown auctions. They start at $89 for the most basic resale, but depending on what parts have been put on, the cost increases accordingly. Students also receive a 10 per cent discount.

Cyco’s is a full-service shop, looking after both bikes and skates all year long. The shop is small but very friendly. It is currently going through renovations, but they should be finished soon and getting their full stock back in the store.

Cyco’s is located at 5 Hawthorne Ave.

Call 613-567-8180 or check out cycosport.ca

Bike Dump

Bike Dump is located on Catherine Street, just west of the Greyhound bus station and is a hard spot to miss. Their price range is pretty wide, since they have just about every type of bike in just about every condition. This is a great spot to go and see what type of bike suits you. They also encourage trade-ins, so this might be your chance to trade in dad’s old bike and get something that you can actually get on to.

Bike Dump also services bikes and they offer same-day service if the cycle is brought in before 11 a.m. Considering they have little extra space, they prefer not to keep bikes overnight.

Bike Dump also provides a 10 per cent discount to students.

Bike Dump is located at 407 Catherine St.

Call 613-231-2317 or check out the website at bikedump.com

All three shops encourage people to consider buying used, because if the bike has been taken care of and has been serviced, there’s really no difference. Buying used is also a good choice for the environment. If you can get your hands on a well-built, steel-framed bicycle and you look after it, it will last you a lifetime. So what are you waiting for? Get riding!