Canadian bands Pawa Up First and The Darcys to perform at Academic Hall

Selena Hofmann | Fulcrum Contributor

Photo provided by Evan Clark

THE OTTAWA JAZZ Festival is stepping out into winter and will set foot on campus for a show at the Academic Hall on Feb. 2. The concert will feature Pawa Up First from Montreal and The Darcys from Toronto.

The Ottawa Jazz Festival has taken place every summer for more than 30 years and is in its second year of winter programming. The festival’s achievements are no doubt in part due to the quality of the events. Evan Clark, the festival’s media and marketing manager, describes the extensive planning that goes into making any show a success.

“You can’t just slap up some posters and expect 300 people to come and listen to covers of ‘Wonderwall,’” he says.

“There is nothing that we put on our programming board that we don’t believe in.”

It’s easy to believe in the talent of this show. Wes Marskell, the drummer for The Darcys, is excited about coming to the University of Ottawa and playing at the Ottawa Jazz Festival.

“Because it’s a part of the Jazz Fest, we feel like we have permission to play some of the weirder stuff from the back catalogues,” he says.

The Darcys’ sophomore album is actually a modern interpretation of Steely Dan’s classic jazz rock album Aja. Marskell says it can be “mind-blowing, but pretty cool” to be able to introduce a generation to a legend through the band’s recreation.

With a new record coming out in 2013, The Darcys know the Ottawa show will offer a unique opportunity to experiment with material from all parts of their career.

The Toronto band has steadily grown by making their records easily accessible.

“Our fan base grew exponentially faster by making them available for free download,” says Marskell.

The Ottawa Jazz Festival’s 11-day summer event and three-day winter counterpart offer a place for music lovers of all ages to gather for quality performances. The Winter Jazz Festival has been catching attention in part due to its proximity to the events of Winterlude.

“We’re just here to bring good music to the city, and I hope people dig it,” says Clark.

The lineup for the summer festival will be announced April 10.

Tickets for The Darcys and Pawa Up First are available for $12 at the Ottawa Jazz Festival office on 294 Albert St. or at www.ottawajazzfestival.com