CIS

Rivals to play for Pedro in 24,000-seat stadium for years to come

Photo: Marta Kierkus

The highly anticipated Panda Game will be back at its historic homeland as the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group announced a multi-year agreement to host the football classic at TD Place. The first Panda Game was played at Lansdowne Park in 1955, the site where TD Place now sits.

“It was great to be out on that field last year and feel the energy from over 12,000 fans yelling and cheering on every play,” said Gee-Gees quarterback Derek Wendel, in a press release. “It was back and forth all afternoon and this year’s game is going to be just as incredible.”

“For me personally I love being able to play at TD Place. It brings another feeling to the game when there are a lot more people with their eyes on you and waiting for you to make a play,” said defensive back, and 2014 Ontario University Athletics Rookie All Star, Jackson Bennett. “Coming out of high school, there weren’t a lot of people in the crowd so having a large amount of people watching the game is something that definitely gets you excited.”

The Panda Game was played annually from 1955 to 1998, when the Ravens football program was suspended indefinitely. It was revived in 2013 with the return of the Ravens, and was played at the newly constructed Gee-Gees Field as TD Place was under renovations. Last year’s nail biting match saw the Ravens steal away victory with a last-minute touchdown. The game brought in a crowd of 12,500, to the 24,000-seat stadium.

The Gee-Gees still lead the 46-game Panda series 33-13. Kickoff is on Saturday, Oct. 3, at 1:07 p.m.

Tickets are on sale at 10 a.m. on Sept. 4 at capitaltickets.ca

With files from Spencer Murdock