Gee-Gees

The Highlight Reel: Jan. 18

Gees basketball stomps Ryerson

The women’s basketball team nabbed a crucial rebound win Saturday with a 70–55 show of strength against the Ryerson Rams, following Friday’s frayed loss. Inside post Angela Tilk played a key role in the victory, with her 14 point and 12 rebound double-double, her third of the season.

The Gees thoroughly forced their lead onto the Rams, widening the game each quarter by five, eight, and then 13 points. The Gees fell off a bit with an unfavorable 15–3 offensive lead by the Rams, but they contained it to an 11-point differential to secure the win.  Rebounds (46–29 for Ottawa), better overall shooting, and the extra six free throws the Rams gave up made all the difference in this game.

The men’s team secured a close but well-earned 90–86 victory Saturday over the fourth-ranked Rams.  Forward Terry Thomas was on fire with a season-high 29 points.

The Gees led in every quarter except the third, during which they fell behind by eight points. The competition was just as fierce in the fourth quarter, as Ryerson battled to overtake the two-point lead held by the Gees at the start of the quarter. In fact, the two-point differential remained until a series of game-clinching plays by Thomas and point guard Mike L’Africain.

The Gee-Gees will meet the Carleton Ravens next at the Capital Hoops Classic on Tuesday at 6 p.m. (women’s) and 8 p.m. (men’s).

Men’s hockey victorious versus Voyageurs

The Gees left it until the last minute to score the game-winning goal against the Laurentian Voyageurs on Saturday.  The 3–2 victory came after forward Matthieu Tanguay-Theriault scored just a second into the final minute of play.

What started off as a 1–0 lead for the Voyageurs after a power play goal in the first period quickly turned into a nail-biting back-and-forth game as the Gees netted the first game-tying goal less than 30 seconds into the second period.  Laurentian managed to take another lead, but the Gees responded less than a minute later with a goal of their own.  Tanguay-Theriault’s game-winner was his second goal of the game.

Next, the Gees are pitted against the Patriots from the Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières on home ice Jan. 25 at 7 p.m.

Women’s volleyball knocked down by the Blues

Saturday, Jan. 18 marked the first time in regular season play that the Gee-Gees met the University of Toronto Varsity Blues this season and the second time they’ve lost since October, making them 12–2. Like their only previous loss, the Gees faced an unfamiliar team on the road.

The Gee-Gees managed a 14.8 per cent hitting average, a whopping five per cent below the Varsity Blues, which was especially highlighted by the English sisters’ above-average rates.  It was clear by the stats that both teams warmed up after the first set, which the Gees took, but the U of T peaked faster after that.

The Gees will round off their weekend in Toronto against Ryerson tonight at 4 p.m.