Several students are walking on the U of O campus
Once you've navigated how to get to your classes, what will be the soundtrack to your first week at U or O? Photo: Matt Osborne/Fulcrum

The start of the fall semester means new opportunities for fall playlists

The start of the fall semester is creeping up on U of O students like red leaves at the end of August. Soon, classes will be in full swing. So will the butterflies in the stomachs of many nervous first-years and — let’s face it — third-year and graduating students too. 

The first week of school is overwhelming for the entire student population. Whether you are finalizing apartment arrangements or navigating campus for the first time, there is no shortage of new experiences occurring in September.

Once the surge of students enters campus, it is clear that many listen to music on the way to their classes. Headphones, earbuds, and AirPods are necessary accessories for U of O students. Maybe romanticizing the bustle of campus life is a good strategy to keep the nerves at bay. 

Whether it is your first time on the U of O campus, or your millionth time returning, this back-to-school playlist is designed for you. 

Here are the highlights of The Fulcrum’s Back to School playlist.

Campus by Vampire Weekend

This upbeat and cheeky song recounts a walk across campus and a “cruel professor, studying romances”. Let your imagination drift as you walk to class.

We’re Gonna Be Friends by the White Stripes

This is one of the few mellow songs by the American alternative rock band White Stripes. The ideal time to listen to this song is the first few weeks of school when you’re trying to make new friends. Jack White sings “Fall is here, hear the yell / Back to school, ring the bell”. This gentle song reminds you aren’t alone.

Schoolin’ Life by Beyonce

“This is for them twenty-somethings”. That’s right. Queen B is singing to you. Listen to this song when you’re feeling fed up with school. Maybe you agree when Bey sings “ Who needs a degree when you’re schoolin’ life”.

You’re Gonna Go Far by Noah Kahan

This one is for the homesick students. In this comforting and engaging song, Kahan sings about “the frat boys with the brights on” and reminds you that you will go far. Home will be waiting for you. Plus, no one does the fall folk vibe like Kahan does.

There is something for everyone on The Fulcrum’s Back to School playlist. The playlist is composed of different genres such as hip hop and indie. These songs exist to assist you in your first week of classes. You can relax on your way to a stressful lab, or get hyped on your way to a discussion group.

Click here to access the whole playlist.

• Sydney Grenier is a third-year student completing a degree Conflict Studies and Human Rights at the University of Ottawa. She has been contributing to the Fulcrum since her second year. She is excited take on the role editor of her favourite section, Arts & Culture! When Sydney is not dreaming up new stories and solutions you can catch her going on caffeine fueled adventures such as hiking or searching for new music to add to her ever-growing archive.