Ottawa International Writer’s Festival fall event begins

ALREADY IN ITS 15th year, the Ottawa International Writer’s Festival not only promotes reading, but it’s also a platform for the literary community to meet and discuss what they love most—books. Boasting over 30 events, the festival, which runs from Oct. 20 to 25, is set to showcase many well-known and up-and-coming authors from Canada and beyond.

“The writer’s festival is a meeting of the world’s greatest imaginations,” says Sean Wilson, artistic director of the bi-annual festival. “We cross every genre of writing, [plus] we’ve got music, we’ve got film, we’ve got fiction, [and] we’ve got non-fiction.”

“It’s a great opportunity for people to not only get a taste of the work out there, but also explore the world through the eyes of … the most gifted imaginations,” he adds.

Taking a peek at the variety of people the festival attracts, it’s easy to see that the event isn’t just for the nerdy. The week-long event features a wide range of activities, including workshops on how to get published, song-writing advice, and much more.

“The unique thing about the writer’s festival is that we don’t have a single demographic … So if you’re into cutting edge classical music, the Shostakovich event we’re doing with Music and Beyond is [a] can’t miss. If you like rock ‘n’ roll, you’re gonna want to come see Ukrania at the Arc Lounge. If fiction is your thing—there’s no shortage—the New York night would be fantastic. If you’re into filmmaking, we’ve got a master class on writing for the page and screen,” explains Wilson.

It’s not just a boring conference either. There are interactive features that allow audience members to participate and get to know the novelists on a more personal basis.

“All of the events include an on-stage conversation and audience questions,” says Wilson. “It’s a great opportunity for aspiring writers and for those of us who are just curious readers. You get the inside scoop on why exactly the authors wrote the books.”

Attendees also aren’t expected to read the novels in order to participate in discussion. The festival features many books, most of which have just been released, so it’s a great way to see if you’d be interested in purchasing a novel or two.

“Very often what people will do is use the festival as their chance to [preview novels]. I heard one audience member describe it as a little bit like speed dating for potential readers. It’s a great chance to get a little taste of what the books are about and get a feel for the author, and if it sounds like something you want to read, you can pick up a book right there.”

For those who are strapped for cash, the Ottawa International Writer’s Festival has workshops and events for free. If you can’t make it for the fall season, then you’re still in luck.

“We have a spring season and a fall season. The festivals are the biggest concentrations [of events],” says Wilson.
“[But] throughout the year, we tend to have a good 20 events or so.”

—Sofia Hashi