Where to find free entertainment on campus

YOUR YEARS SPENT as an undergraduate student are supposed to be filled with fun and exciting new experiences. Between parties, concerts, and nights on the town, university should be the time of your life. But with rising costs of tuition fees, school supplies, food, and rent, taking advantage of the many forms of free entertainment offered on campus can be a real money saver.

Obviously, A Theatre Company, a non-profit, student-run company, is presenting the comedic hit The Pretentious Young Ladies by Molière. Referred to as a pay-what-you-can-if-you-can-if-you-want show, The Pretentious Young Ladies is rumoured to give students a run for the money they wish they had. This play will be held in the Alumni Auditorium at 8 p.m. from Sept. 15–17.

Take advantage of the many bilingual activities on campus while supporting the franco-Ontarian community by attending the Franco-Ontarian Flag Day Celebration on Sept. 21. Featuring a presentation by Michel Prévost, chief archivist at the University of Ottawa, as well as a mini-debate, music, free snacks, and draws, this event is an provides students with an oppourtunity to learn more about the dynamic franco-Ontarian community on campus. Following the celebration, a free concert featuring music group mastikédigère, a three-time nominee at the Gala Trille Or 2011, will be held in 1848 at 8 p.m.

On Sept. 28, a talented actor and comedian will take centre stage at the U of O. Author and award-winner for Best Conference for his educational performance Funny Money, James Cunningham will perform at the Jock-Turcot University Centre at 7 p.m. Having completed two worldwide comedy shows and participated in two galas at the Just for Laughs festival in Montreal, Cunningham’s act is one that you don’t want to miss!

If you’re looking to check out some U of O artistic talent, the Department of Visual Arts’ Gallery 115 showcases the work of students enrolled in visual arts programs. Located on the main floor of 100 Laurier Ave., Gallery 115 is open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. With free admission and exhibitions running from September to April, you’re sure to find something you love at Gallery 115.

For those looking for an alternative form of entertainment, the Sustainable Development Centre of the SFUO is hosting a free movie viewing on Sept. 21 at Café Alternatif at 7 p.m. The event features the film The Vanishing of the Bees, includes snacks, and is followed by a discussion period. If you’re looking for entertainment that’s a little off the beaten track, then this is the event for you!

No matter what your interests are or how stretched thin your budget is, you’re bound to find yourself fully entertained and left with a little extra cash in your pocket.

—Kiera Obbard