Whatever you do this holiday season, I hope you get a chance to feel a little of that Christmas magic. Image: Sanjida Rashid/The Fulcrum

Some recommendations for holiday activities before the panic of gift buying sets in

With exams, projects, papers, and exam-project-paper-megazords coming at every student left and right, it’s hard to come up with something fun to do during the holiday season. Luckily, I have taken it upon myself to bestow some Christmas wisdom early this year and give out a few recommendations!

The Ottawa Christmas Market, Nov. 24 – Dec. 23.

The Christmas Market is worth taking a break out of your busy schedule to attend! Having gone a few nights ago, there’s something for everyone – from the sweet tooth Chocolate booths to craft fanatics who enjoy getting new soaps, knits, and mittens!

If you’re looking for something lively and a lot more energetic than sitting at a desk in the quiet Morrisett, this is the activity for you. I highly recommend the knitted goats – I nearly bought them all!

The Metcalfe Santa Claus Parade, Dec. 10

The Santa Claus Parade will start at 2 p.m. on the corner of Victoria and Johannes Street. This food drive and parade is a nice chance to do something charitable this holiday season. By donating non-perishables, like canned soup, visitors can catch a parade with the homely tunes of Christmas music while getting a few photos with the big guy himself! Although, I would make sure you’re on the nice list before you start asking for photos with this one.

Christmas in Riverside South, Dec. 24

Much like a Charlie Brown Christmas, singing “Silent Night” in a church is a nice way to beckon in Christmas Eve – with extra treats and coffee to spare! This celebration is open to anyone from churchgoers to people who’re stuck celebrating Christmas in Ottawa because they forgot to book a flight home. Make sure to get there at a reasonable time, as the festivities begin at 4 pm that day!

Hallmark Movies, Any Day of the Month at Any Time

Want to stay inside with the cozy central heating and your blankets? Me too. I recommend watching some cheesy Hallmark flicks to settle you in, make a little game out of it even, with vague rules like this:

Take a drink if:

–        The main character is a grouchy office worker

–        They meet Santa but think it’s someone in a costume

–        They go to a town in the middle of nowhere that believes in Christmas

It’s far easier than you think, so be careful with this game. If you’re more like my grandmother and just like a silly little holiday love story, then this is the perfect time to sit back, relax, and watch the magic of Christmas work its way on some old scrooges. Looking for another Christmas movie but something that is a little different? Try Happy New Year directed by Farah Khan! It’s a fun way to usher in a new year, new me!

Whatever you do this holiday season, I hope you get a chance to feel a little of that Christmas magic.

Dedicated to Darlene Angelee James, I’ll turn on Hallmark this year for you Nanny, don’t worry.

• Daniel is in his second year of a major/minor in History and English. This is his first year working for the Fulcrum, and (hopefully!) not his last. You can catch him lurking in the Arts & Culture or Features sections! When he's not writing up to his ears, he's probably playing Mahjong or obsessing over new music.