Dance, Ballet
Photo: Pexels/Provided.

Emma Bovary was Helen Pickett’s first commission with the NAC, and it was a show-stopping success.

Emma Bovary and Angels Atlas was a double-billed mixed program showcased at the National Arts Centre (NAC). Helen Pickett, a renowned American choreographer, was commissioned by The National Ballet of Canada (NBC) to put together this work. Surprisingly enough, Emma Bovary was Pickett’s first commission with the NBC. Previously, she was known for her award-winning choreography seen in The Crucible.

Emma Bovary was based on Gustave Flaubert’s debut novel Madame Bovary. The storyline follows a wife of a husband who felt stultified within her relationship. The piece “Emma Bovary” explores Bovary’s psychological perspective, and how she comes to condemn herself through her own ambition.

Angels Atlas was a work first showcased in 2020, put together by the great Crystal Pite. Still being showcased 4 years after its debut, its use of light and technology is astounding. The meaning conveyed, that of humanity’s impermanence, continues to stun audiences across Canada.

Pickett’s choreography of Emma Bovary was first performed with the Toronto Four Seasons in November of 2023. After the show’s overwhelming success, she was then commissioned for a performance with the National Arts Centre for three consecutive nights; from February 1-3rd. 

Funnily enough, I did not choose to attend this dance performance. It was an event with mandatory attendance for my arts marketing class. Upon viewing the show, I was able to acknowledge that I was exceedingly privileged. I attended the final night on Feb. 3.

When considering the performances objectively, I understand how the art of dance is treasured by so many. It’s similar to cinema, the only difference being that it can be more intellectually stimulating, while not attempting to please a wider demographic.

Digital media was not permitted during the performance, therefore it could be considered a once-in-a-lifetime experience. What both Angels’ Atlas and Emma Bovary had in common was the sheer complexity of emotions expressed throughout their pieces. You could almost feel the raw emotional anguish, as well as the love the dancers had for their art. 

Originally, when viewing the performances, my expectations were that of classical ballet. Unfortunately, this was not the case. This double-billed program was characterized specifically by contemporary ballet. I believe the performances’ messages could’ve come across more evidently through classical ballet.

Although contemporary ballet can be considered more expressive in nature, it can lead to misleading interpretations, especially when witnessing Emma Bovary. Throughout the performance, having not read the story behind the art, I was incredibly perplexed. 

Overall, I would’ve preferred if it were more straightforward. Yet, this is entirely subjective and relative to every audience member. If you have the chance to go see a show put on by the National Ballet of Canada, I ask that you don’t pass up on the opportunity.