Image: Orion Pictures/Provided

Charm, chuckles, and chalk full of violence

There were three films that I was highly anticipating for this summer: the live-action The Little Mermaid (I am a big Halle Bailey fan), the new animated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Bottoms. The latter was the only one I was actually able to see, but I do not regret it.

The film is co-written by Canadian director Emma Segliman and American actress Rachel Sennott (The Idol, Bodies Bodies Bodies), who have previously worked together on the eclectic Shiva Baby. Bottoms first made headlines when it premiered at South by Southwest in March to rave reviews. Along with co-lead Ayo Edebiri coming off her latest season of The Bear in June, it appeared to be a myriad of humourous mayhem.

But it is much more than that. 

The plot of Bottoms is simple: two high school lesbians are (somewhat) eager to lose their virginity before leaving to college, and (haphazardly) plan to start a fight club to draw the attention of pretty cheerleaders their way after a “rumour” of them going to juvie is spread around the school.

The chemistry between Josie and PJ (Edebiri and Sennott, respectively) is fantastic. Not only are they hilarious together, but even the par-for-the-course emotional climax of the film made my heart ache for the best friends.

The supporting cast elevate the film to its fullest potential. Hazel (Ruby Cruz), is the awkward yet endearing club organizer, who steals the show as the heart of the film and the fight club. 

Devious football player Tim (Miles Fowler) not-so-subtlety schemes to ruin the lives of Josie and PJ, while compassionate cheerleader Isabel (Havana Rose Lin) adds levity and laughs to her scenes. 

The overall production of the film stands out as well. The costumes feel like they’re straight from the 90s (think Ferris Bueller) but with a touch of modern inspiration. The musical direction, co-ordinated by composer Leo Birenberg and genre-bending pop star Charli XCX, is fantastic. Bottoms included the best use of ‘Complicated’ by Avril Lavigne I’ve seen.

Although the premise of the film is hilariously pathetic, the bonds formed between the club members — and the resulting fallout — are genuinely and tastefully crafted. If there’s one thing you should take away from Bottoms, it should be that the people you meet unexpectedly and care for are worth it. Also, fighting crazy football players is totally worth it.