Sanjida Rashid
Image: Sanjida Rashid/Fulcrum.

Let’s take a look at some of the events Ottawa has to offer in celebration of Black History Month

Celebrating Black heritage, culture, and achievements, Black History Month (BHM) invites the many events and programs dedicated to celebrating people within the Black community. Opening doors for serious conversations that should be had year-round, Black History Month caters to celebrating the Black community’s talents and correctly educating the world on Black social issues previously distorted within history. 

Around the world, different companies and institutions aim to promote the study of Black history and highlight the important roles the Black community holds within society. Through art and speech, people around the world can broaden their education about the many accomplishments and honours created throughout Black history.

Highlighting the importance of this month, Ottawa, Canada’s capital, warmly embraced the importance of Black History Month throughout the city. From thought-provoking lectures and panel discussions to art exhibits, musical performances, and film screenings, Ottawa offered a dynamic array of activities that educate, inspire, and foster dialogue around the experiences and struggles of Black people in and out of Canada. From beginning to end, there are many events and programs Canadians can visit as part of the city’s initiatives within this month.  

Let’s take a look at some of the events Ottawa has to offer in celebration of Black History

Month:

Reuniting Black LGBTQ+ People and African-Centered Thought: Overview of a Historic Association of Black Psychologists Mbonging the mind and knowledge 

On Feb. 6th, 2024, Scholar Dr. Michele K. Lewis hosted an open panel event at the University of Ottawa, discussing the many strategies she and her colleagues used with the Black LGBTQ+ communities concerning the decolonization of ‘inner life’. The presentation focused on disrupting Eurocentric narratives surrounding Black LGBTQIA+ individuals, thereby addressing the dynamics of oppression amongst the community. 

Hosted in the Social Science building of the university, students and researchers were provided insightful opinions into the lived experiences of Black LGBTQIA+ individuals while shedding light on the importance of creating inclusive spaces that honour diverse identities and perspectives. 

Children’s Stories in the Diaspora

On Feb. 11, 2024, Black authors took the time to read their books to the many children of today. Hosted by Black History Ottawa, the Black Diaspora educates and celebrates the beauty of Black Canadians of African descent. If given the chance to listen to these authors at another one of the BHO events, audiences would meet many amazing Black authors, like Keisha Cuffie reading her book D is for Dazzling, or I Love My Beautiful Hair by illustrator Elissa Wentt.

IN OUR TONGUES

On Feb. 13th, 2024, the arts and entertainment company IN OUR TONGUES hosted the Black History Month Jazz and Poetry performances of Yanaminah Thullah, Sarah Kabamba, and Antoine L. Collins at the SAW Art Gallery. By amplifying the liberation of Black performers and artists, the IN OUR TONGUES production kicked off its fifth season of performances while opening up the conversation around Black history through art and literature. As a company dedicated to amplifying the voices of the historically misrepresented, these performances created a safe and nurturing environment while strengthening the importance of sharing Black history through expression.

Black Women leaders; Parliament Hill

On Feb. 29th, 2024, UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, Solange Tuyishime, hosted her annual Black History Month closing celebration at Parliament Hill. Shared amongst students and political advocates for change, Solange opened a space to celebrate and bring recognition to the many accomplishments of black women that are often overlooked and ignored. 

Remembering the importance of this constant issue, the event held speakers to speak on the growth of the Black community and what that reflects amongst the city of Ottawa. They included Anita Vandenbeld, the parliamentary secretary to the minister of international development; Helena Shimeles, the director of social impact and innovation at the RBC; Cassandra Dorrington, the President and CEO of CAMSC; and the Honourable Greg Fergus, member of Parliament and speaker of the House of Commons.

This annual observance of Black heritage provides Canadians with a vital opportunity to honour the remarkable contributions and resilience of Black people. While also acknowledging the ongoing struggle for racial equality and justice, participating in the diverse array of events, discussions, and initiatives throughout February enriches the understanding of history and culture. Also, participation demonstrates Canada’s commitment to fostering an inclusive and equitable society for all. 

Make your Black History Month in Ottawa a time of learning, growth, and solidarity. It is never too late to learn.

“In recognizing the humanity of our fellow beings, we pay ourselves the highest tribute.”

-Thurgood Marshall