Why study when you could watch movies instead? Image: Kelsea Shore/Fulcrum.

What the Fulcrum may or not be watching instead of studying

Reading week is around the corner. As my books begging to be read pile up on both sides of my desk, I’m struck with a realization! Think of all the movies I could watch during the break!

Robert Eggers, The Lighthouse
Two men standing close to each other in early 20th century attire

Let’s get some things clear, I like period pieces and I like Willem Dafoe. Combine those two things in a black-and-white horror flick in one of my favourite pieces of cinematography. This movie seems like an actual blessing to me. I will report back later with whether I’m positively paranoid or horrifically horrified!

Charlie Kaufman, I’m Thinking of Ending Things

A romantic couple sitting in a snow covered car, looking awkward.

Okay, chalk it up to me just being a fan of movies that are hard to untangle, but I’m Thinking of Ending Things has been on my radar for a long time. There’s something so rewarding about movies that feel like you need to assemble, disassemble, then reassemble to really figure them out. I’ve heard a lot about it and what says reading week better than a surreal psychological film that involves meeting your boyfriend’s family?

Dante, Inferno

It isn’t a movie I know, but at the very least, I want to do a little reading in between everything else and Inferno is just such a classic isn’t it? I’ve been meaning to get into the epics and I’m split between The Iliad and Inferno, what a tough decision! The book is just so interesting in so many historical and poetical ways, I think it’ll be hard not to have it circulate my brain once I start – Inferno shows up everywhere in media.

Edgar Wright, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

A young man and woman  stand next to each other in front of a wall, holding plastic cups.

Okay, okay, I can hear the unanimous “why haven’t you seen this yet?” I was busy! I’ve finally come to need to see Michael Cera in everything he’s ever been in. He never changes how he acts or his personality and I think that’s what makes it work. I’ve seen a bit through pop culture references at this point and considering it’s also getting adapted into an anime later this year, I would like to be on the up and up before it drops! Go Sex Bob-Omb!

Martin Scorsese, Killers of the Flower Moon
An Osage woman and middle-aged man sit next to each other at a dinner table

This year has been incredibly good to long, intense historical pieces. Summer’s Oppenheimer needs to be complemented with autumn’s Killers of the Flower Moon. It’s got an incredibly stacked cast and I’m only getting more excited for it with the critical reception I’ve seen of it. All I ask is that whatever screening I catch is not beside a showing of the Eras tour, which is also currently out in theaters.

Did I miss anything worth binging? Anything I should’ve caught sooner? Write back. Or don’t!

• Sydney Grenier is a third-year student completing a degree Conflict Studies and Human Rights at the University of Ottawa. She has been contributing to the Fulcrum since her second year. She is excited take on the role editor of her favourite section, Arts & Culture! When Sydney is not dreaming up new stories and solutions you can catch her going on caffeine fueled adventures such as hiking or searching for new music to add to her ever-growing archive.