Breaking

breaking news graphic
Image: Kai Holub/Fulcrum

ORGANIZERS SAY PROPOSAL IS “NOT SATISFACTORY,” PLAN TO SUBMIT COUNTER-OFFER

On May 27th, the 29th day of the student protest for Palestine on Tabaret Lawn, University of Ottawa administration submitted their first proposal to organizers. In a conversation with the Fulcrum, INSAF president Sumayya Kheireddine said that the proposal is “not satisfactory.” 

Student protesters plan to submit a counter-offer later this week after discussing the proposal as a group. The details of the proposal have not been made available to the Fulcrum, and University of Ottawa spokesperson Jesse Robichaud has not responded to the Fulcrum’s request for comment on the proposal at the time of publication.

By this Friday, June 1, administrators are expected to disclose their updated list of investments. Organizers anticipate the list to include Axon Enterprise, Airbus SE, CAE Inc, Scotiabank, Blackrock Inc., Estee Lauder Companies, Intel Corporation, LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, Amot Investments Ltd., Atlas Copco, Booking Holdings, SolarEdge Technologies Inc., WSP Global Inc., and Cisco Systems Inc., which are “corporations [that] facilitate Israel’s occupation and genocide in Gaza.”

Student protesters have been asking the university for four demands to be met: disclosure of an updated investment list, divestment from “any and all corporations involved directly and indirectly in the surveillance, occupation, and murder of Palestinians in both Gaza and the West Bank,” academic boycott of Israeli institutions, and the adoption of the Arab Canadian Lawyers Association (ACLA) definition of Anti-Palestinian Racism.

This is a developing story. Updates regarding the negotiation process will be published in separate articles throughout the week.

• Kavi Vidya Achar was a news editor for 2023-2024 and took over as co-EIC in April. Achar is entering their second year of a dual major in political science and public administration, and was previously Editor-in-Chief of their high school publication.

Series Navigation<< U of O encampment remains for fourth week as others in province end‘Canada, you’re complicit in the genocide of Palestinians’: community protests at CANSEC, police station, and Parliament Hill >>