Breaking

Photo: Hannah Vigneux/Fulcrum

UNIVERSITY ADMINISTRATION CANCELED PROPOSED MEETING WITH ORGANIZERS DAYS BEFORE SIT-IN

The University of Ottawa administration published a statement in regards to student plans of a sit-in on Tabaret Lawn on Monday, April 29. 

In an Instagram post uploaded on the evening of Sunday, April 28, the statement acknowledges that the administration feels “the pain and anxiety that many in our University community are experiencing.” 

“As always, our institution supports and protects the right to peaceful protest and cornerstone of both our university mission and our democratic life.”

The statement warns, however, that “While peaceful protest is permitted in appropriate public spaces on campus according to our policies and regulations, encampments and occupations will not be tolerated.” The statement is signed by Éric Bercier, the associate vice-president of student affairs.

Ahead of the planned sit-in on Tabaret Lawn, organizers have been in collaboration with campus security, but have been unable to set up a meeting with the university about divestment from Israeli-operated companies.

In talks with campus security last week, organizers had been reassured that a meeting would be set up with University of Ottawa’s Chief Investment Officer (CIO), François Dionne, for either Monday, April 29 or Tuesday, April 30. 

However, these plans fell through on Friday, April 26, when the Vice Provost of Equity, Diversity and Inclusive Excellence (VP EDIE), Awad Ibrahim, called off the proposed meeting for not being beneficial to the university, according to Samayya Kheireddine, president of Integrity Not Spite Against Falastin (INSAF), and one of the organizers of the sit-in.

In an interview with the Fulcrum, Kheireddine described the challenges INSAF and co-organizer Palestinian Student Association (PSA) have had in scheduling meetings with members of the administration. Since November, students in these organizations have met with the VP EDIE, resulting in no tangible commitment from the administration on divestment. In a press release on April 28, INSAF and PSA wrote of the cancellation: “This disregard of INSAF’s willingness to fairly negotiate is a tell tale of the administration’s indifference towards its student body and further showcases their neglect of the genuine concerns of the student collective.”

While the planned sit-in does not violate university rules, administration cautioned against escalation into encampments, as have been seen on American campuses like Columbia, Stanford, and Yale.

The administration’s statement additionally identifies two university policies — 130, ‘Student Rights and Responsible Conduct’ and 28, ‘Temporary Use of University Space’ — that carry “serious consequences” if not followed. Policy 130 was introduced in 2022, following the backlash of professor Verushka Lieutenant-Duval saying the n-word in a classroom; some of the outlined purposes of the policy includes to “affirm Student rights;” and to “inform Students about the University’s expectations on the standards for Responsible Conduct”.

Policy 130 applies to students and to a “Breach of Responsible Conduct”, which is defined as the occurrence “(…) where the Student’s conduct falls within any one or more of the various types of Student conduct described in Appendix 3 or where a Student encourages or assists others, by words or action, to engage in conduct referred to in Appendix 3.”

Policy 130 outlines that a Breach of Responsible Conduct may involve university facilities. Under Appendix 3, 1.b, “Use of University facilities contrary to express instruction or without proper authorization, or misuse or abuse of such university facility.”

Meanwhile, the purpose of Policy 28 is to “ensure a responsible approach to the temporary use of University space by University staff, students and external individuals or groups.” 

Section 4.4 of the policy reads, “The University supports and encourages freedom of expression, as set out in Policy 121 Statement on Freedom of Expression, in the use of the temporary use of University Space where those responsible for the Activity promote the safety and security of participants, demonstrate respect for the values of equality, diversity and inclusion, seek to prevent harassment, violence and discrimination and respect this Policy.”

However, section 5.2 reiterates that the Provost and vice-president of Academic Affairs have the authority to “decide on freedom of expression issues and/or whether a proposed Activity or proposed temporary use of University Space raises matters concerning Policy 121 Statement on Freedom of Expression.”

The administration’s statement serves as a warning before Monday’s protest, which plans to continue into the week.

At the same time, organizers of the sit-in continue to ask for a meeting with the CIO.

Authors

• Kavi Vidya Achar is in their first year of a dual major in political science and public administration. A first-time member of the Fulcrum, Kavi was previously Editor-in-Chief of their high school news magazine and an editor for three years. When they’re not combing through interview notes, Kavi is painting portraits, reading memoirs or getting boba with friends.

• Amira Benjamin was the Fulcrum's features editor for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 publishing years.

Series Navigation<< BREAKING: U of O students plan sit-in for PalestineStudent Sit-In Begins April 29th on Tabaret Lawn >>