tent and extinguisher
Photo: Daniel Jones/Fulcrum

thursday marked by appearance and teach-in by Carleton Professor Nahla Abdo

Thursday, May 9 marks the 11th day of the U of O student protest for Palestine, calling for disclosure and divestment from the university administration. Protest organizers met with Awad Ebrahim, vice-provost of Equity, Diversity, Inclusive Excellence, and Éric Bercier, associate vice-president of student affairs on May 7 to address their demands, but negotiations fell through. 

After setting up tent frames to expand the encampment and protect against rain, and illustrating in chalk on the sidewalk outside Tabaret Hall, a teach-in was hosted by the Palestinian Youth Movement (PYM) about Palestinian political prisoners. Nahla Abdo, a professor in the department of sociology and anthropology at Carleton University, also spoke at the teach-in. 

The teach-in was interactive with participants, inviting people to define terms and expand upon their own knowledge; “Administrative detention is used to detain Palestinians and the courts can rule to extend this detention every six months.”

The PYM continued, providing the historical background of the Palestinian People’s Movement, the First Intifada, and the Oslo Accords. Professor Abdo also discussed “the difficult and beautiful lives” of Palestinian political detainees and how they have “taught each other and helped each other to graduate.” 

The remainder of the day was marked by Maghrib and Isha prayers, as well as a poetry reading. Participants also continued to write in ‘The People’s Journal’, a space for attendees to note down their perspectives, reflections, and reactions while being at the sit-in/encampment.
Around North America, several universities in the United States — such as Sacramento State University and Evergreen State College  — have committed to protestor demands of divestment and severing ties with Israeli institutions.

• Palestinian graffiti
  • chalk
  • chalk
  • sign
  • sign
  • flyer on pole
  • With files from Daniel Jones

Series Navigation<< Political and Social Groups Respond: Reviewing Day 10 of the U of O protest‘Academia should be concerned with people’: recapping the 12th day of the U of O encampment >>