Next stop

SINCE THE HARPER government claimed a majority on May 2, rumours about defunding the CBC began floating around. The national broadcaster has also taken heat from Quebecor, a Montreal-based news company, who filed freedom of information requests over the course of the past three years. The requested documents could reveal CBC’s sources, compromising the broadcaster’s journalistic independence.

On Nov. 5, the Globe and Mail reported the CBC finally gave in and released some of the sought-after information—something seen as a loss for the broadcaster.

Part of the CBC’s official mandate is to “provide radio and television services incorporating a wide range of programming that informs, enlightens, and entertains.” Whether it’s creating and broadcasting a Canadian television show or publishing an in-depth report revealing corruption, the CBC is meant to serve Canadian interests.

Nothing in that description seems outrageous, wrong, or inappropriate. So why are so many people on the broadcaster’s case? Because the CBC is intimidating.

When it comes to Quebec, the CBC is Quebecor’s top competitor for viewership. Some columnists in the Toronto Star and the Globe and Mail, various professors, and field experts suggest the freedom of information requests were filed to set the CBC back while Quebecor gets ahead in the market. For example, Quebecor publicly raised questions about CBC’s funding, asking whether the national broadcaster is worth the tax dollars.

That’s where the Conservative government comes in. Rob Anders, Conservative MP from Calgary West, has launched a petition to stop funding to the CBC, saying it has an unfair advantage over competitors and receives too much money from the government.

The Liberals, in turn, launched a counter-petition, titled “Hands off our CBC,” calling the crown corporation a “cherished public broadcaster” and describing its need in our country. I tend to agree with the latter.

Much like the BBC in the United Kingdom, the CBC plays an essential role in Canadian media. The national broadcaster can be counted on to be unbiased, honest, and accurate. Its audience can depend on a level-headed approach to reporting, a stark contrast to broadcasters like Quebecor’s Sun News.

That is why Canadians need to stand up for the CBC. Unlike other broadcasters, the CBC doesn’t try to get money out of advertisers and audiences because our tax dollars help fund it. Unless the government orders it to, the CBC will never go out of business, and the CBC is very unlikely to betray the interests of the audience that funds it.

Whether it’s by signing a petition, voicing your concerns to a local MP, or picketing in front of Parliament, it’s time to give back to the broadcaster who serves the best interests of its audience. It’s time to tell the government we won’t give up the CBC without a fight.

Jane Lytvynenko

[email protected]

(613) 562-5260