Dec 2023
Photo: Arya Gunde/Fulcrum.

Mino’Weenisi served 1365 people in October, the highest month on record.

In 2021, Parkdale Food Centre introduced its newest centre on Hamilton Avenue North, in between Spencer and Armstrong Street. It is named, “Mino’Weesini” which is an Algonquin term for “good eats.” 

Mino’Weesini is a grocery program challenging the narrative of what a traditional food bank can be. It runs on a points system in an effort to increase food autonomy and mimic the experience of regular grocery shopping. Points are given to users at the beginning of each month depending on the number of people in their household. Users are then free to spend the points however they would like for that month on food and toiletries. 

In a tour with the Fulcrum, grocery program manager Vladimir Solorzano explained that the points system is currently being studied by students in the Algonquin College Nursing Program for improvements. 

Around 40 per cent of the food at Mino’Weesini is from the Ottawa Food Bank. However, traditional food banks, where people are given boxes of only the essentials, can have a psychological toll on those who need help. Mino’Weesini is set up to help restore their dignity and respect. The centre also relies on donations from individuals and businesses; Solorzano took pleasure in showcasing the high quality of bread generously donated by local artisans.

Mino’Weesini tries to be as inclusive as possible, though Solorzano is looking to improve in this area. The food bank offers halal, vegetarian, and gluten-free options for those with dietary restrictions.

Photo: Matt Osborne/Fulcrum.
Photo: Arya Gunde/Fulcrum.

In December 2023, Mino’Weesini hosted an event to commemorate a year-long investment by the Ontario Trillium Foundation. Solorzano plans to use this investment for various projects, including infrastructure improvements like replacing a broken fridge. He is also looking to integrate technological solutions for a smoother shopping process, and thanks RBC for their consulting help with this initiative. Right now, people’s points are tallied and recorded by hand — Solorzano hopes to use QR codes and iPads in the future.  

Mino’Weenisi served 1365 people in October 2023, the highest month on record. In an email to the Fulcrum, Jessica Mapila, the communications and engagement facilitator, explained it is “a demand that reflects the ongoing economic challenges faced by many members in our community.” 

A 2021 CBC interview with Inaya Siblini proves why centres like Mino’Weesini are critical to supporting communities. Siblini discovered Parkdale Food Centre when she moved with her family from Lebanon in 2018. “We were living in a hotel room … We didn’t have any way to cook a healthy meal.” She is now the grocery program co-ordinator at Mino’Weesini, and is driven by her need to give back.

For now, Mino’Weesini is operational three days a week. There are four allotted times for drop-in shopping. The rest are available through appointment. 

Solorzano says Mino’Weesini is always looking for volunteers and donations, but asks that people call in before donating since some items might be overstocked. You can sign up to volunteer on the Parkdale Food Centre website.