Photo: Matthew Osborne/Fulcrum.

“I am disappointed, frustrated, and ashamed to be a University of Ottawa student.”

Content Warning: This article includes a description of sexual harassment and mentions of sexual assault.

On Thursday evening, several Registered Student Governments (RSGs) at the University of Ottawa took to their social media accounts to “share [their] disappointment with the magician at the UOshow” as well as resources for students. A short time later, a statement came from the University of Ottawa Students’ Union (UOSU), sharing that while the event had been co-hosted by the Union and administration, UOSU was not allowed to put a stop to the act.

Reports began emerging that the UOshow’s opening act, Nic Gignac had (as part of his magic act) asked for five female volunteers to join him on stage and proceeded to guess the colour of their undergarments. Some observers pointed out that at least one of these volunteers was wearing a red wristband, identifying them as under 18 for 101-week events serving alcohol in Quebec.

UOSU’s statement read, in part: “Allowing such an inappropriate and offensive performance to occur sends a distressing message that the institution is not committed to creating an environment that prioritizes consent and respect on our campus.” UOSU’s Instagram statement was spread widely by U of O student groups and students themselves, some of whom added their own thoughts.

“soooo uhh when are we all demonstrating on Tabaret to denounce our school’s response to this” asked third-year political science student Jeremiah Langdon. “This is insane. If you let a monkey type on a typewriter they’ll either write Hamlet or write the incoming email they’re drafting [right now] saying ‘oopsie sorry'”.

Emily Coe, a fourth-year anthropology student wrote on their story that they were extremely disappointed and tagged the university, writing to “do better than this. Take action. Where are the consequences? These are first-years entering uni[versity] for god’s sake. End the normalization of sexually harassing women.”

One third-year student, who was acting as a 101-week guide for their faculty, shared with the Fulcrum that the event was significantly triggering to them as a survivor of sexual violence. In a post to their Instagram story, the student called the university’s response embarrassing and demanded that the university “do better”.

Daphnée Veilleux-Michaud, the vice-president of socials for the Conflict Studies and Human Rights students’ association (CHRA) shared on her Instagram: “I actively condemn the University of Ottawa for not only hiring this performer without checking its show, but also after he sexually harassed women-presenting student[s] in front of an entire crowd, the university refused to act when our student union ask[ed] them to take him of[f] stage. To top it all, they made a [promotional] post 30 min[utes] after it happened without acknowledging or taking accountability of their action. I am disappointed, frustrated, and ashamed to be a University of Ottawa student.”

Ally Hall, a fourth-year student in Human Kinetics wrote on her story that all 101-week participants (guides and 101ers alike) had to “go through sexual prevention training so stuff like this doesn’t happen and then it happens publicly and is ignored.” She tagged the university in her post and said to “apologize to the participants affected and do better.”

The university responded to the UOSU’s Instagram statement in the comment section from its @uottawacampus account, writing: “We have heard that members of our community have expressed serious concerns about one of the performances at this year’s uOshow. We will be meeting tomorrow to determine what measures need to be taken to address this matter. The uOshow is a highly anticipated event that helps to kick off our academic year, and we want to ensure it is safe and welcoming as possible for all to attend. We are determined to promote fun and inclusive experience at our campus events and anything that falls short of this is contrary to the values we hold dear.”

As of Friday, September 8 at 4 p.m., there has been no further public response from the university. This article will be updated as more information becomes available.

UPDATE: The university published a statement on Instagram on the 8th. it reads:

“Last night’s uOShow featured one performance that was disturbing to the University and our community, and we apologize to those who understandably were offended by what took place.

The uOShow is a highly anticipated event that marks the beginning of our academic year, and like at all events, the University strives to ensure a safe, inclusive and enjoyable experience for all who attend.

We will work with the University community to make sure future events reflect our values of diversity and inclusion.

We know some of our students may be feeling distressed after what they experienced, and we want to encourage you to access the support that are available to you, should you need it.

La clinique de counselling sans rendez-vous | The Walk-In Counselling Clinic

https://walkincounselling.com/fr/ • https://walkincounselling.com/ 

Allô J’écoute | Good 2 Talk – 1 866 925 5454

• https://allojecoute.ca/ • https://good2talk.ca/

• Bridget Coady was the Fulcrum's news editor from spring to fall of 2021. Before that, she was the Fulcrum's staff photographer.