Protests continued May 1 at the U of O's encampment. Photo: Daniel Jones/Fulcrum

INSAF describes offer as “laughable”; a “joke”

On Monday evening, the University of Ottawa sent an updated proposal to encampment organizers — including INSAF (Arabic translation: justice or equity) and the Palestinian Student’s Association (PSA) — who described the counter-offer as “laughable” and a “joke” via Instagram.

The pro-Palestinian encampment on Tabaret Lawn was erected on April 30, one day after a sit-in was organized by groups including INSAF and the PSA. The U of O sent their first proposal to the student groups on May 27, which INSAF president Sumayya Kheireddine labelled “unsatisfactory”. The absence of an agreement means the encampment will presumably remain for the foreseeable future.

The newest offer included multiple changes from INSAF’s revision sent to the U of O, which include the deletion of a passage which calls for divestment from companies involved in Israel’s occupation of Gaza and the West Bank, or that “contribute to violent acts that target civilians.”

“We are beyond disappointed at the offer sent to us today,” organizers responded to administration. “To debate the merits of this offer would be a waste of time to both parties. Last week, we spent over an hour making ourselves clear and little came from it. Once you have found a solution that is more akin to our demands, we will be willing to engage in further discussion rather than waste our breath yet again. We await the revised offer.”

The university’s proposal includes a 36-hour deadline to clear the encampment out, “and going forward, there will be no disruptions or promotion of disruption at any University premises or at any University events and activities, including convocation.”

In their Instagram post, organizers describe the passage as a “clause to silence students” and “very disturbing”. The post also asks “who in Canada would forfeit their right to protest and free speech?” 

Sources close to the negotiations tell the Fulcrum that no follow up meeting between administration and organizers has been set.

Across the province, some encampments have accepted proposals from university administrations and cleared out. These include Ontario Tech (May 21) and McMaster (May 25).

Other encampments remain. On May 27, the University of Toronto filed for a court injunction to remove the encampment occurring on their campus a week after serving participants with trespass notices.

And at Western University, encampment organizers rejected what they deemed a “contradictory and incoherent” offer from university president Alan Shepard last week.

• Proposal from the University of Ottawa 
June 3rd, 2024

A. Economic Demands
1.	The University has undertaken to publish on its website on June 1, 2024 its list of equity holdings held in its long term portfolio which includes among others, endowment, general funds and sinking funds as of December 31, 2023.
2.	The University undertakes to publish its list of equity holdings on its website twice a year, on or around June 1 (as of December 31) and on or around December 1 (as of June 30).
3.	The University is a signatory to the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment (UN PRI), which are currently incorporated into the University’s Responsible Investment Guide (Guide). The University hereby reaffirms its commitment to the UN PRI.
4.	The University undertakes to review the list of environmental, social and governance issues set out in the Guide, through the lens of human rights considerations, including issues arising from war conflicts, such as the one in Palestine. To this end, the University undertakes to review the list of University actions described in the Guide underlying the UN PRI Principles.  The review will include a benchmarking exercise with other Canadian universities, investment managers, and various resources provided by the UN PRI. The University commits to complete its review by the end of April 2025 and amendments to the Guide arising from such review will be published on the University’s website following the approval of the appropriate University governing authority. 
5.	The Chief Investment Officer will engage with fund managers on the human rights principles and actions set out in the Guide, and the inclusion of these human rights considerations in their investment analysis and decision-making process.
6.	The Executive Committee members of the University of Ottawa Student's Union (UOSU) will be invited to submit any student concerns regarding University’s investments, such as the one expressed by Palestinian students, to the Administration Committee for its consideration. A meeting will occur before the end of September 2024. The Administration Committee will follow-up with a written response.
  • B. Academic Demands
7.	The University commits to facilitate and encourage collaborations with Palestinian universities and will report on progress to UOSU by the end of April 2025.
8.	The University undertakes to support Palestinian students, and any students who have been forcibly displaced by war, with the launch of a pilot project called Student & Scholars At Risk by the end of 2024 and fund this project up to $200,000.
9.	The University undertakes to establish a mechanism to facilitate the undergraduate admission of students who meet admission criteria and who are forcibly displaced by war, such as Palestinian students, by the end of 2024.
10.	The University will continue to evaluate its student exchange programs with foreign institutions, taking into account the level of risk associated with the country and the institution, in accordance with government watch lists and warnings. 
11.	The Provost’s Office will develop a framework, including human rights considerations, in international student exchange program by the end of April 2025.
12.	The Senate Committee on Academic Freedom will be asked to examine the question of discrimination between students in academic activities, and to make any recommendations to ensure a safe and healthy environment for students. The Committee will be asked to consult members of the University community, including students affected by geopolitical conflicts. 

The University agrees that students will not receive any academic sanction for their participation in the encampment, subject to illegal activity associated with such participation. 
In consideration of the terms of this proposal, it is agreed as follows: within 36 hours of the date of acceptance of this proposal, all tents, structures, equipment, personal belongings and any other components of the encampment will be removed from all University premises; and going forward, there will be no disruptions or promotion of disruption at any University premises or at any University events and activities, including convocation.

• Andrew was the sports editor for 2023-2024 and took over as co-EIC in April. He is in his fourth year of a Commerce degree, with an option in Business Tech Management.

Series Navigation<< INSAF, PSA provide negotiations update ahead of U of O disclosure