Heckles

students sitting in a large lecture hall
Image: Kai Holub/Fulcrum

Whether liberal arts, business, social science, STEM, or engineering, it truly doesn’t matter what you study, as long as you enjoy it 

As a social science major who literally couldn’t study anything else, my job prospects are supposedly pretty hopeless. This is not only according to my own dad (who studied sociology), but possibly current social science students themselves who are beginning their degrees. They might start to secretly wrestle with the conflicting decision to remain in the social sciences, or jump ship and switch into more a practical area of study, like business or engineering. 

With that in mind, this piece will touch on the emotional challenge of choosing to study a not-so-high-paying field (because you actually like it), and learning to accept academic passions that people say won’t make you a lot of money. 

Though, it can still be difficult trying to explain the why to others close to you. 

Here’s what I mean. 

The most common and stereotypical presumption most people have of the social sciences sounds a lot like this: It’s about useless social theory that produces no value for society. In short, the social sciences are widely judged as “unemployable” — i.e inapplicable for the current job market. 

I still clearly remember the thunderous protest of my dad’s pleadings of disapproval when hearing about my pursuit of the social sciences, followed by the emergence of grandpa joining the fray. Confused with a curiously raised eyebrow he askied in a polite, though business-like tone: “So, what exactly is anthropology? And will you have a job after?” 

This line of questioning, or ones similar as faced by others, is obviously bound to scare away future undergraduates of anthropology, and associated disciplines. 

Which was almost the case for me. Almost

Despite heavy opposition, I still felt this immovable urge – almost like a calling, destiny or an obligation – to keep learning about what connects people as a society. To understand the contemporary interplay between diverse cultures and economies. To read about potential ways in which humans can come together and find solutions. 

I found peace by declaring myself an anthropology major. This is what I want to study, even if it challenges the common notion that you should pick a major that’ll immediately get you a job after. 

Admittedly, when that first job does arrive for a social science student, it’ll probably not be a high-paying one like in the fields of business, healthcare, and engineering.   

Quite honestly, you might end up in unfathomable student loan debt that never ceases to chase you for the rest of your life. 

However, I’m prepared for this possibility. Ready for the confused, possibly penniless, apparently treacherous path of studying the social sciences.

Because I believe it’s still worth it today. 

Though, maybe this whole piece was bad advice. Maybe not. Maybe so.  

Whatever the case, this article is definitely not meant to deter you from still poking fun at your social science friends. It’ll keep them on their toes. It’ll remind them why they’re doing it in the first place. 

And wherever your academic journey leads you in the future, I hope I described the curiosity for answers that so characterizes the nature of social science students. To me, money is not a strong enough pull anymore to warrant studying something simply for the job at the end. 

In conclusion, I think I found the most accurate retort to what every social science student in history has had to answer for: 

“So, will you have a job after that?”

“I don’t know. We’ll see.”