Photo / Matthew Osborne

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE RENTERS INSURANCE!

Feb 1. — In the early hours of the morning firefighters responded to a burning row of townhouses at the intersection of Osgoode and Sweetland. The now-destroyed property is owned by Smart Living Properties, who manage a large amount of rental properties in Sandy Hill. Due to the fire, large parts of Sandy Hill were without power for the duration of the morning.

Fire is a tragedy that hits Sandy Hill strikingly often. I’ve lived on and off in this neighbourhood for almost six years and if I’ve learned anything, you need renters insurance.

In August 2023, a row of townhouses at the intersection Wilbrod St and Friel St burned down leading to 25 residents, many students, becoming homeless. This property also happened to be managed by Smart Living Properties.

Would it surprise you if I were to tell you that these two instances aren’t even the only cases of Smart Living Properties going up in flames?

It shouldn’t, as there was yet another case of a building, also owned by Smart Living Properties, that burned down back in 2018. Similarly to the instance in August, the fire had led to the displacement of 12 residents.

If you want to get out of your lease early, you have two options: sublet or transfer your lease. You are contractually obligated to hold up your end of the ‘deal’. But if, god forbid, your apartment burns down, your landlord suddenly owes you nothing!

This is the reality for Martha Capener who lived in the row of townhouses that burnt down back in Aug. 2023. She wrote about her experiences in the Fulcrum back in October. In her article she details how fast the company left her high and dry.

The reality is property companies own most of Sandy Hill, and they just keep buying up more and more properties. As a community, we need to look out for one another. At least 37 residents who used the services of Smart Living Properties have been made homeless since 2018.

For anyone reading this article and thinking “well this wouldn’t happen to me” – it could easily be you if you rent.  The moral of this story is this could happen to any one of us, and we need to demand action as a community to ensure that residents are protected from “unforeseen circumstances.” 

I want you to get mad. Use your anger to help solve the problem. Send an email to our city councillor, Stephanie Plante, our Mayor Mark Sutcliffe, or our Member of Provincial Parliament Lucille Collard and express your concerns. Spread awareness about what’s happening to other members of our community. Make and sign petitions! Get involved with organizations that advocate for renters such as ACORN. Do your part to ensure that our community is safe. There is so much that can be done!

It might all seem so hopeless, but it doesn’t have to be. If we work together, as a community, who knows what we can accomplish together!

And please, oh please; ensure you have renters insurance!

Credit: Carla Fleurant

• Keith is in their sixth year of Political Science and a new addition to the editorial board! Keith has previously run for municipal office and is the former Head Organizer of the Rideau McDonald's Farewell March. When they're not busy writing the correct opinion on an issue they are taking a spontaneous train trip across the country.