Letters

Letter to the Editor graphic
Image: Dasser Kamran/Fulcrum.

Dear Editor:

I’m  writing to address two recent stories in The Fulcrum where fires in properties that are owned or managed by Smart Living Properties have been referenced. I appreciate the opportunity to shed light on the events surrounding these unfortunate incidents. 

With reference to an August 3rd, 2023 fire, your writer mentions the initial response of our representative at the scene, where tenants were left feeling unsupported. Our team understands the distressing nature of such an incident, and we empathize with all affected tenants.

However, we would like to clarify that our attendance at 1:00 a.m. signifies a commitment to prioritizing the well-being of our tenants that exceeds what’s required by law and goes far beyond the normal practice of residential landlords. In crisis situations such as these, our primary concern is ensuring everyone’s safety and addressing urgent needs promptly. 

It’s important also to clarify that the responsibility for securing housing falls primarily on the affected individuals. According to lease agreements and legal standards, when a unit becomes uninhabitable due to unforeseen events such as a fire, the tenancy is terminated. That Smart Living Properties took it upon ourselves to help some former tenants in locating new housing, going above and beyond the requirements of the lease is testimony to our dedication to community service.  

Another article references a fire that occurred in Sandy Hill on February 1st, 2024.  The article seems to imply that our company was at fault in displacing people from their homes. However, it’s important to remember that the Ottawa Police have deemed this fire to be a case of arson and have arrested two suspects who are now awaiting trial.  We are as much a victim of this crime as our tenants. 

We concur with your writers that anyone in rental accommodation should carry adequate insurance to cover the cost of emergency accommodation and the replacement of personal effects.  

We remain committed to supporting our tenants during challenging times, and we appreciate your understanding of the complexities involved in managing emergency situations. We remain unwavering in our commitment to the well-being of both our tenants and the communities in which we operate. 

Sincerely,

Rakan Abushaar, 

COO

Smart Living Properties