Letters

Letter to the Editor graphic
Image: Fulcrum.

Are you Ready?

The City of Ottawa actively plans for 30 different types of emergencies and disasters.  Our goal is to be ready, ready to protect and preserve life, infrastructure and property.

Are you ready for the next emergency?

It’s never too late to start preparing, and the City of Ottawa’s Office of Emergency Management is here to help! There are three simple steps to follow:

1. Know the risks. Ottawa is a large city, prone to different hazards. It is important to know the risks in your area, which could include flooding and power outages, among others.
  1. Make a plan. During an emergency, it can be difficult to think clearly. Having an emergency plan will help you to remain calm and focused. You may be without power for an extended period, or you may be asked to evacuate your home. Your plan should include:
    • an emergency meeting place, like a relative’s or friend’s home in a different part of the city.
    • a list of emergency contacts.
    • any additional health needs (e.g., a list of prescriptions).
    • options for your pets.
  1. Prepare an emergency kit. An emergency kit contains the supplies you need to sustain yourself for at least 72 hours. The following types of kits are recommended:
    • A basic grab-and-go kit that should contain water (at least two liters per person per day), lighter forms of non-perishable foods (e.g., energy bars), a flashlight, a small portable charger power bank, small amounts of cash, and copies of important papers (identification).
    • A shelter-in-place/evacuation kit that is basically a larger grab-and-go kit – it should contain two additional liters of water per person per day, enough non-perishable food for several days, a first aid kit, bedding, clothing, and additional portable charger power banks or a portable generator.
    • A vehicle kit that can be kept in your vehicle. It should contain items such as a blanket, flashlight, first aid kit, non-perishable food and water.

Make sure to practice your plan!  Please also consider people in your neighborhood who may need your help, such as those living alone.

For more information on emergency preparedness, including checklists, visit ottawa.ca/areyouready or email [email protected]

The City communicates emergency information through local news media and through the City News email newsletter  and the City’s social media accounts. You can find the social media account links on the bottom of Ottawa.ca under “follow us”, where you will also find the link to the e-subscription. Choose “City News” to receive the email newsletter that shares the latest City updates and news, including emergency information.