Letters

Letter to the Editor graphic
Image: Dasser Kamran/Fulcrum
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Editor’s Note: This letter was first submitted on July 13; statistics maybe be slightly out of date.

As a reader of your publication, I express my deep concern regarding the recent report by The Lancet on the true nature of the humanitarian crisis in Gaza. The report reveals that more than 37,000 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces since October 2023. When taking into account indirect deaths as a result of the destruction of healthcare infrastructure and severe restrictions on food, water, and shelter, the total death toll of Palestinians is over 186,000. This staggering death toll is a conservative estimate based on data from recent conflicts, and is likely much higher. This is a devastating humanitarian crisis demanding immediate international action, including a ban on US and Canadian weapons and sanctions on Israeli war criminals: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(24)01169-3/fulltext

Despite the gravity of these findings, our local media has been silent. It is essential the public is informed about the true scale of killings in Gaza, including deaths caused both directly and indirectly by Israel.

This is profoundly important to me because accurate reporting by local media can influence community awareness and government action. I urge your publication to cover this story to shed light on the suffering, and call for more meaningful humanitarian intervention. The ICC has called for measures to prevent further destruction, and for the preservation of evidence related to genocide. Accurate documentation is crucial for justice and historical accountability; this is where the media plays a vital role.

I implore your news organization to prioritize this critical issue in your reporting, and highlight the international community’s lack of meaningful action contributing to this crisis.

Submitted separately by Hafsah Al, Wart Kukel, Zeyad Abu-Snineh, Wisam Syes, Karine Vanthuyne, Amal Dela, and Sandrine Oka

• Kavi Vidya Achar was a news editor for 2023-2024 and took over as co-EIC in April. Achar is entering their second year of a dual major in political science and public administration, and was previously Editor-in-Chief of their high school publication.