Multiple rows of computer screens sitting on desks
COVID re-defined how we learn, whether universities take action or not. Photo: Amira Benjamin/Fulcrum

Will universities continue to make space for hybrid learning?

As another academic school year rolls around in a post-COVID era, it questions the suitability of a hybrid learning system. 

Online learning is a divisive topic that cannot be diluted into arguments of for or against as it  considers effectiveness, accessibility, financial implications as well as many other features. These aspects affect students and educators differently, as their lived experiences shape their judgments accordingly. 

Many students fall under the opinion that the structure of hybrid learning does not provide the best value for their money — it limits the quintessential campus experience, is not conducive for creating a consistent routine, and enables disengagement in course material. 

Critic Freddie Tyzack, who is a first-year economics student at the University of Bath told the BBC in 2023, “It’s just like watching a YouTube video … when it’s online, you’re in your room and you’re on your own, you can just sit in bed and watch and then think ‘that’s that done — I can go back to sleep.” 

In contrast, others believe that online classes provide a relaxed form of study as students can self-pace their learning, access materials from anywhere, and save time by limiting computing. 

Proponent Aasiyah Patankar, a former president of Liverpool John Moores University Students’ Union told the BBC that “many students appreciated the flexibility of blended learning, but that it was important for universities to provide as much information as possible about how much teaching will be online before students apply.”

Additionally, disabled students attending university bring an important perspective to this conversation. A case study in the Conversation showcases “that only two of 83 respondents indicated that their disability is visible”. The research illuminated how online learning minimizes the feeling of access fatigue as many disabled students report feeling exhausted from “constantly having to explain their situation or ask for help”. 

Since timely internet access might be inconsistent for some, the style of online learning guarantees that students have all the materials needed to critically engage in lectures. Therefore, having professors upload the course content with transcriptions or upload lecture slides before class ensures all students have several means of accessing the material. This benefits disabled students by alleviating the process of directly asking the professor for specific accommodations as all the materials are available.   

Furthermore, pulling from my own experiences, I completed my undergraduate degree during COVID-19,  making me very familiar with the structure of synchronous, asynchronous, and the hybrid learning style. Each has its pros and cons and as a student with an hour commute, I appreciate the ability to not trek to campus – especially in bad weather. 

These differences in opinion highlight the importance of effective communication between universities and students. It ensures that in a hybrid learning structure, students attending lectures in-person or online are not neglected but provided with equitable means to succeed.   

From a hegemonic perspective, the responsibility is placed on the professors to be digitally literate when it should be the universities. This neglects the department administrators’ role in ensuring students’ success, as they are not providing the accurate tools for professors to facilitate an effective class.

As a result, a strenuous technical environment makes it difficult for students to succeed. This is due to technical difficulties, insufficient communication, and limited tools that make it gruelling to stay engaged with course material. 

Ultimately, online learning continues to be up for debate on whether it is efficient or complicated for universities to offer. Depending on the students’ lived experiences the answers may vary. 

Therefore, the onus should be placed on post-secondary institutions as they have wealth and prowess to accommodate students whether that is through online based classes or in person.