What 2014–15 will bring for the fans

Keith Allison

1. The Chicago Blackhawks may have won the NHL free agency frenzy by signing former New York Ranger Brad Richards.

2. If Trent Richardson can live up to the hype of the third overall prospect in the 2012 NFL draft, the Indianapolis Colts should seriously be considered as contenders in the American Football Conference.

3. The Miami Heat might not be the favourites to win the NBA Eastern Conference, but it’s foolish to write them off considering how weak the East looks to be.

4. Offensive guru Norv Turner being hired by the Minnesota Vikings might add a few years to Adrian Peterson’s football career.

5. Barring dramatic changes or events, the Montreal Canadiens might once again be the only Canadian team to make the playoffs next year.

6. The Raptors’ biggest free agent move? Continuity.

7. The NFC North will be the second best division in the NFL.

8. It’s ironic that the Lakers fired Mike D’Antoni, and then traded for Jeremy Lin. Linsanity was a product of Mike D’Antoni’s coaching.

9. One quarter of NFL players that were arrested during the offseason are playing for the Baltimore Ravens. The number is incredibly high for a team coached and managed by the likes of John Harbaugh and Ozzie Newsome.

10. Despite minimal offseason additions, the Seattle Seahawks, Los Angeles Kings, and San Antonio Spurs should be favoured to win it all next season.

More Takeaways from NBA, MLB & PGA, FIFA and more

Sarah Nolette
Sports Editor

1-    Wiggins getting traded to Minnesota is a good thing for the young player. He has some learning to do without the spotlight on LeBron James. Wiggins can still play his position and excel.

2-    The under-20 Women’s World Cup was held on an artificial turf for the first time in history. Many have suggested this is evidence of discrimination against females because some consider it inferior turf, but the truth is, this will become a reality for many stadiums across the world.

3-    Becky Hammond was hired as an assistant coach for the Spurs. She is the first female to ever be hired as a full time assistant coach in the NBA.

4-    The Blue Jays have been having a stressful season with injuries, but most fans still have hope.

5-    DeMar DeRozan playing for Team U.S.A. will come back stronger for the Raptors. The Raps top player will add more depth to his game.

6-    Tom Watson, the 64-year-old golfer is the oldest player in the Professional Golf Association championship. He beat Tiger Woods during the British Open by five shots. #winning

7-    Team Canada’s senior women’s rugby team headed into the semifinals against France after beating England. Both teams have a huge front and back; it was probably the best match up of the season.