CIS

Reading Time: < 1 minute

Women’s hockey need to find their stride in 2015

Photo Credit: Richard Whitterkar

The Gee-Gees women’s hockey team fell consistently short during the 2014 part of the regular season, closing with a 3-7 standing record.

In what can be summed up as a disappointing end to the year—evident in the three-game losing streak—the Gee-Gees are in second last in their division, ranking fourth out of five teams, with Montreal leading the board and the Carleton Ravens in last place.

“We have a solid group of players who are learning what it takes to have success in this league,” head coach Yanick Evola said on Nov 20.

But 2015 might have better results.

On Jan. 2, the Gees won against the Canadian University Sport (CIS) third-ranked Western Mustangs at the Teresa Humes Invitational with a score of 3-2. The game went into overtime, then to a shootout, where goaltender Maude Lévesque-Ryan executed her role very well, sealing the win.

But the New Year’s boost came to a halt on day two of the tournament with an 8-5 loss to Quebec.

The team has some resolutions they need to work on in order to avoid more losing streaks.

“We have played consistently for a few now. We just need to continue to work on our in-game systems,” said Evola.

“The power play is definitely an area we need to work on,” Evola said. “We know we need to be consistent in this league to be successful, so this is what we are trying to do every day.”

The women’s hockey team will face the McGill Martlets at the Minto Sports Complex on Jan. 9 at 7 p.m., followed by two games against the Carleton Ravens on Jan. 16 and 18.