Gee-Gees

Two U of O football players pat each other on the shoulder
Photo: Tim Austen/University of Ottawa

Amlicar Polk showcased his dominance throughout the game, breaking tackle after tackle on his way to a career-high 191 rushing yards.

The Gee-Gees traveled to Toronto on Sunday, Sept. 4 for a 7 p.m. game against the Varsity Blues.  This was the first time the Gees and Blues squared off since the 2021 OUA East semifinals, where the U of O came out on top with a 27-17 victory. Over 4000 fans packed the stands for the Blue’s home opener.

Starting quarterback Ben Maracle’s status was unclear following a lower-body injury sustained during the first quarter of Week 1’s game versus the University of Waterloo, which forced him off the field. It was announced Saturday that backup and Ottawa native Ryan Licandro would likely start in Week 2.

After trading punts for the first few drives of the game, the Gees started to overcome tough U of T defense late in the first quarter. After a short gain by running back Amlicar Polk, Licandro completed a 9-yard pass to Maxim Malenfant through heavy traffic for a first down. Licandro then targeted Nicholas Gendron, again through coverage, and completed the pass for a 17-yard gain.

The Gees were on Toronto’s 44-yard line and showing some life. After another first down was thrown to Gendron, Licandro rolled out of the pocket and targeted the receiver once again. This time, the pass was just off, Gendron slipped, and the ball rolled out of his hands.

On the next play, Licandro’s pass attempt was blocked right out of his hands, and the ball bounced away. Ottawa recovered the fumble, but the momentum building towards a touchdown had disappeared. Campbell Fair then jogged out with the rest of the special team units to prepare for a 40-yard field goal attempt, which he successfully sent flying through the uprights.

Amlicar Polk showcased his dominance throughout the game, breaking tackle after tackle on his way to a career-high 191 rushing yards. The 5’9” fifth-year showed why he was drafted by the Ottawa Redblacks in the seventh-round of the Canadian Football League’s draft in May.

Fresh off winning the Gee-Gee’s Lumsden-Avery Award for sportsmanship and dedication, it’s fair to at least speculate Polk could follow in J.P. Cimankinda’s footsteps and add to his trophy case with a First Team OUA All-Star nod.

Fair added four more field goals over the course of the game to record a perfect 5-for-5 record on the day. Early in the fourth quarter, the Gee-Gee’s lead was narrowed to just two after a 4-yard run by Kinsale Philip resulted in a Toronto touchdown. But the Gees had just enough to hold on and walked away with a 15-10 victory.

Max Charbonneau again led the way for the defense with 6.5 tackles, including a leaping effort in the fourth quarter in an attempt to stop U of T from gaining first down when they had just inches to go. Eric Cumberbatch picked up the lone sack of the game for the Gees.

The Week 3 bye for the U of O couldn’t come at a better time. Five players left Sunday’s game with various injuries, including star defensive back Harnoor Dhaliwal. Ben Maracle’s status is still unknown for the time being.

The Gee-Gees will return to TD Place Sept. 16 when the University of Windsor comes to town. Tickets are available here.