CIS

Gee-Gees come through with double-win weekend

Photo credit: Marta Kierkus

Gee-Gees come through with double-win weekend The Gee-Gees women’s soccer team racked up a total of 10 goals for two wins against Nipissing and Laurentian during a successful weekend at home.

The Gee-Gees women’s soccer team racked up a total of 10 goals for two wins against Nipissing and Laurentian during a successful weekend at home.

The Gees played with speed and impeccable offence throughout the Sept. 27–28 weekend, but the key factor to both victories was scoring early.

On the Saturday, forward Pilar Khoury wasted no time against the Laurentian Voyageurs, scoring only two minutes into the match. The Voyageurs allowed too much time and space, granting the Gees the opportunity to score twice more in the first half.

Before Laurentian could regroup in the second, the Gees sealed the deal with two additional goals to defeat the Sudburians with a final score of 5-0.

The garnet and grey built from that momentum to claim another victory against Nippissing on Sunday. The Gees scored in the third minute of the match, and continued to dominate in midfield attack and defence to score another four goals and only allow one on a penalty kick. The game ended with a solid 5-1.

“What I liked about both games was that we scored really early in both matches and that gave the players a sense of control,” said head coach Steve Johnson.

It was a good showing, but midfielder Julia Francki said there’s still room for improvement.

“Our defence is getting better and our forwards are clicking, and definitely winning helps the team morale,” said Francki. “I think we can move on … and improve from there.”

As the games go on, the Gees are still adjusting to the new lineup, having said goodbye to 10 players from last year’s roster.

“We are still figuring out who is going to be playing, where and with whom, which combination works best,” said Johnson. “It is exciting because I think we still have the away games to reach our potential.”

Each season, veterans and rookies alike have to step into new roles and the team constantly has to grow.

“Every year is different, every year you lose players and you need new players to come in and take those new roles,” said Khoury. “I think that the rookies have adapted well to the team and we hope to continue to build strongly as a team for future games.”

The garnet and grey will truly be tested soon, as they prepare to face strong squads at the University of Toronto, Ryerson, Queen’s, and Carleton in the next two weeks. The Gee-Gees will be back in action at Matt Anthony Field on Oct. 11 to face the Carleton Ravens.