Image: Bardia Boomer/Fulcrum.

THE GEE-GEES HAVE NOW BEATEN EVERY TEAM IN THE DIVISION AT LEAST ONCE THIS SEASON

On Friday, January 27, the Gees took on the high-flying Concordia University women’s hockey team, who came into the game sitting atop the Réseau du Sport Étudiant du Québec (RSEQ) division, winning 15 of their 18 games. Meanwhile, the Gee-Gees were looking to bring momentum from their rivalry win over Carleton University into the match.

And who better to score the opening goal than the previous game’s overtime hero, Kylie Lalonde? She put the Gees up 1-0 on a one-timer fed from Katherine Birkby.

Lalonde stayed hot as she also scored the second goal of the contest. This time it was a turnover at the blue line that led to a two-on-one break where Lalonde decided to keep the puck for herself and buried it top shelf.

Before heading to the break, goaltender for the Gees, Aurélie Dubuc, made a miraculous save after the puck took two redirections with less than a minute to go in the period.

At the start of the third, it was clear that Concordia would not go down without a fight and thirteen seconds in, due to a bad turnover in front of the Gees net, Concordia capitalized immediately, cutting the lead by one.

In the final period, Dubuc had to be at her best, being forced to make a series of saves.

Minutes later, off a clean faceoff draw win, Concordia would had a chance at a goal but the puck rang off the post, which was just one more of their 20 shots in the period alone.

The continued onslaught from Concordia paid off as eventually, a shot was deflected in the air and found its way behind the Gees goalie, leading to the tying goal. Despite that, the Gees hung on to force overtime, securing them a point.

During the overtime period, an interference penalty was called against the Gees, but the Gees had a massive penalty kill. Once back to full strength, Ariane Minville would score short side and win it for the U of O. And in successive games, the Gees were overtime winners.