It’s tough, but well worth the effort to prepare! Photo: Andrew Price.

A lovely dish to warm you up on an autumn evening

It’s October, and that means we’re now well into autumn. Plants are dying, but our appetites are not.This means we’re going to need some recipes to warm us up throughout this cool transition to winter.

One such dish I highly recommend is homemade butternut squash soup. I can’t take credit for the recipe, as it was something my mother always made for our family, and still makes sometimes when I visit.

Here’s how you can make your own homemade, reasonably healthy butternut squash soup. Trust me, mom’s recipe is much better than that store-bought stuff at your local Metro.

1. You need one large butternut squash. You’ll want to get this peeled and chopped, and in some places you can get it pre-chopped and peeled.
  2. Put this in a large baking dish, and pour a generous amount of olive oil in, about half a cup.
  3. Add ¼ teaspoon of Coriander over the squash.
  4. Add salt and pepper, again, being generous .
  5. Place it all in the oven, setting it 400 C. Bake for approximately 40 minutes, making sure it’s mushy.
  6. Now peel three apples and put this in a pot for the soup.
  7. Add ⅓ of a chopped onion to the pot, and mix in a bit of olive oil. Sauté this for a few minutes.
  8. Now add ⅓  a box of chicken broth, and bring the mixture to a boil.
  9. When the squash is ready, add it in when the mixture is soft. You can then add the rest of the chicken broth if you want, and let it simmer.
  10. Add a touch of cinnamon for a little extra flavour (optional).
  11. Wait 40 minutes until all ingredients are soft, then take off the heat and let it cool a little.
  12. At this point you can add a bit of Purée to make it extra creamy, and stir.

Now you’ve got yourself a bowl of irresistible butternut squash soup. Enjoy!